2004 - 2008 F-150

Bug Guard Install....Not So Nice Surprise Found...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bug Guard Install....Not So Nice Surprise Found...

Well, I installed my bug guard tonight. It was fairly easy from the instructions given out on the board. Also, I like the way it looks and got it pretty cheap($26 on ebay). A couple of new pics are in my gallery.

I noticed when I loosened the grill from the hood that there was paint missing on both sides of the hood where the grill meets. It doesn't even look chipped. It seems like the factory was in a hurry and just missed a couple of spots. Right side:

and the left side:

Sorry about the blurry pics, but you get the idea. Has anyone else have this problem? Taking it to the dealer is such a pain, I know they are going to say that I did the damage when I installed the bug guard. The funny thing is the truck is 1 month old yesterday. Oh I almost forgot the $300 factory tint job is coming off on the passenger side. Any suggestions??

Old 05-10-2004, 11:32 PM
Mine had a small amount missing as well when i installed my bug deflector

Old 05-11-2004, 06:31 AM
Re: Bug Guard Install....Not So Nice Surprise Found...

Originally posted by RedSTXMan
Oh I almost forgot the $300 factory tint job is coming off on the passenger side.
Factory tint job? The tint is part of the glass (rear windows) from the factory...other than that, the factory doesn't add "optional" tint. Did your dealer add tint when you purchased the truck? If so, it was an aftermarket tint job.

John

Old 05-11-2004, 11:27 AM
Re: Re: Bug Guard Install....Not So Nice Surprise Found...

Originally posted by JohnAndDar
Factory tint job? The tint is part of the glass (rear windows) from the factory...other than that, the factory doesn't add "optional" tint. Did your dealer add tint when you purchased the truck? If so, it was an aftermarket tint job.

John
John, your right, I guess I should have said dealer option. Still $300 for tint, thats nuts!! Its too light anyways, I want to go down to the 20 grade compared to the 35 grade which is the lowest you can go in Texas. I had it(20 grade) on my stang with no problems from the police.

Question: Would everyone buy some touch up paint and forget about it or take it to the dealer and get the hood repainted?

Old 05-11-2004, 11:29 AM
Buy the touch-up paint and forget about it. That's what the dealer is going to do anyway.

Old 05-11-2004, 12:22 PM
RedSTXMan,

I agree with petard. If it's not noticeable, except for when the grill is loosened/removed, I would just carefully apply a small amount of touch up on my own.
I'm sure the dealer would be able to touch it up, also. You need to decide whether the actual problem is worth your time and inconvenience to bring it into them, or not.

Good luck,
John

Quick Reply: Bug Guard Install....Not So Nice Surprise Found...