2004 - 2008 F-150

My truck's broken

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My truck's broken

Well, Tuesday of last week my wife and I get in the truck and get on the freeway (about 1 mile from when we started it) and after getting on the freeway I notice that the A/C wasn't working. A/C light is on, but hot air coming out. Then I try to open a window (due to it being like 115 degrees in the truck) and the windows won't go down. Look at the radio, radio won't come on. Then when I look at the Speedo, I notice that all the gauges are dead, no reading from any of them.

Crap, musta blown a fuse or something. We were heading to a Doctors appt for the wife, so I drop her off and stay in the parking lot to check fuses. I find that a fuse is blown (I believe it was #21, or whichever is for "Accessories". So on the way home, I stop by the local Auto Zone and pick up a pack of mini-fuses. I pop in a new fuse, and within 2 seconds it blows again. Darn, now what could it be?

So later that night (after the sun went down) I crawl back under the dash and start checking all the fuses. All are good, so I start checking the relays that are in the fuse panel. The truck starts, so I knew that the relay for the starter worked.
So I swap that one for another relay, and tried to start it, no start. Bingo, I found the problem, a toasted relay (Another "Accessory" label). No biggie, I'll even buy the relay to keep from going to the dealer and being without a truck for a couple of days while they are "fixing" it. I buy a relay the next day and pop it in. Everything works. Nice, I am back on the road for $8. Wife takes the truck to work the next morning, everything fine. When we go to lunch, the A/C doesn't work again, radio gone, windows stuck, gauges dead.

So, I took it to the dealer the next morning and told them what I did, and what keeps happening. Something keeps blowing the fuse, and toasting the relay (I don't know which goes first).

The only thing I have done is replace the door speakers. And when I replaced the relay, the radio works fine, no shorted speaker wires or anything.

When I dropped it off to the dealer, I told them I wanted the front-end shimmy fixed, the rear-end grind fixed, and the outside temp reading fixed.

Old 05-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Don't forget to get the muffler bearings repacked.

Old 05-03-2004, 02:01 PM
No kidding. But has anyone else had electrical problems like this?

Old 05-03-2004, 02:10 PM
All kidding aside, this is the first time I've read anything like yours. It sounds like there's a short or a loose ground somewhere. Good luck with it and hopefully the dealer will look into the other problems as well.

Quick Reply: My truck's broken