2004 - 2008 F-150

Rhino liner protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rhino liner protection

I am getting a Rhino liner srayed in this and have been reading threads about the UV protection. Some say get the UV topcoat sprayed on and others say just use some type of protectant. What I am wondering is what type of protectants does everyone use fo the UV or should I just go for the UV topcoat.

Old 04-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Look into Line-X before you commit to Rhino. The consensus is that the Line-X is 100 times better. That seems to be what the majority of forum-goers, including myself, got.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:06 AM
I dont have a Line-X dealer anywhere close by, so my only real option is a Rhino.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:14 AM
Oh, that stinks. I was fortunate. A dealer opened up near me one week before I got my truck.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:31 AM
I have Rhino and love it. Just make sure who ever is spraying it knows what they are doing. Oh ya, and I don't want to start the whole Rhino vs. Line-X thing again.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:34 AM
I would drive out as far as I had to in order to get the line-x, don't let distance be the reason you skimped out on your truck! If you're like me you paid more than you ever have for a truck before...

-antonio

Old 04-29-2004, 10:57 AM
Speedliner is also an option

I got Speedliner put in my truck. Very pleased with the results. I saw a LineX sprayed on and it is very similar. I almost went with Rhino also, but went with Speedliner instead. Doesn't fade, lifetime warranty nationwide. $350 for my 5.5 foot bed.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:19 AM
I have the Rhino and it is more than perfect. I have hauled all kinds of crap back there with nothing but praise for the rhino. I can't hardly imagine that "I would drive out as far as I had to in order to get the line-x, don't let distance be the reason you skimped out on your truck!" That's retarded, they are both practically the same, just personal preference. Some prefer the finish of a Line-X some prefer the finish of a Rhino, who cares.

Like Dallas said "Oh ya, and I don't want to start the whole Rhino vs. Line-X thing again."

- Justin

Old 04-30-2004, 11:42 AM
I don't think I am the only one to say that the line-x in a previous thread was scientifically proven to be better then the Rhino in various different tests. Rhino will undoubtedly work fine for now, lets see in a few years.

But hey, I don't blame anyone for disagreeing with me, to each their own, it's just a matter of how much you really care about your truck and the investment you made when you purchased it, but I am no one to convince you one way or the other, I just keep with the mission of the forum in providing my point of view/opinion.

-antonio

Old 04-30-2004, 11:58 AM
I went with line-x as well but they are both good products. As far as the UV protectant, line-X didn't offer it, but if I had a rhino, I would get it. That way you don't have to worry about it or bother with spraying it with a protectent every week. I'm no expert but I wanted to see you question get some kind of response.

Old 04-30-2004, 12:56 PM
I just canceled my appointment with Line-X and ordered a Ford bed liner after I saw my buddies pickup with Line-X and dented wheel wells. I was sold on the spray in liner until I realized every dent will show. I have hauled a few pallets of stone in my other trucks and the guys on the forklifts aren't always that precise. The bed liners in my old trucks always held up pretty good, actually I've never had a problem with them. Ford has a new grey color liner that I ordered, have to see it when it comes in to see if I like it. I'll install it myself like the last one, it took 20 minutes. Just my opinion.

Old 04-30-2004, 02:48 PM
I went to both a Rhino and a Line-X dealer to get a quote and ask questions before making a decision. The quotes were the same, $375.
I went with the Line-X because everyone I personally know that has spray-in lining has Line-X and no compaints. (It also didn't hurt that I found a $25 off coupon in the paper which brought the price down to $350.)

The Rhino has a soft, rubbery feel and would probably prevent items from sliding around which could be good or bad, depending on how easy you want to slide things in and out of the bed.
The Line-X has a solid feel so items may slide in and out of the bed easier but as of yet I haven't had anything slide around the bed while driving.

The Line-X dealer told me they do have a protectant they can spray on but you have to wait a while to have it sprayed-on, they won't do it the same day. I don't know if it is a Line-X brand protectant or a 3rd party protectant.

Old 04-30-2004, 03:26 PM
Be careful with the Ford drop-in. I started out with that when I took delivery of my truck, and there are spaces in the fitment of the liner up near the top front corners. Here are some pics of my liner: Bedliner gaps

Those gaps would just let tons of water and dirt down under the liner to grind with the paint. The dealer claims they were designer to allow more air flow to below the liner, but I think it's either a design flaw or will at least do more harm than good. I also went and look at other 2004's at a different dealer, same problem with the liner.

I have since had the dealer put in the Rhino at no charge.

Neptuno, how does me getting a Rhino liner equate to "a matter of how much you really care about your truck and the investment you made when you purchased it" ? Your point of view on the Rhino doesn't mean that I care about my truck any less than you care about yours. Especially when they cost the same. I could see if I glued in a $15 tarp and claimed it was better than a spray-in.

- Justin

Old 04-30-2004, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the pictures of the drop in liner. Did the dealer install it ? I did my last one and trimed the corners and had a great fit. If it dosen't work out I'll go with the Line-X.

Old 04-30-2004, 04:37 PM
I did have the dealer install it, but even if I had done it myself, I couldn't figure out any way to get rid of the gap, even with some custom trimming. The only solution I could come up with would be to seal the gaps with some black silicone or something, but even that would be a really lame quick fix.

And besides all that, the drop-in rattled so much on the road, that it drove me nuts with the rear slider open. Good riddance!

Though I would still like to get the Ford bedmat (can be seen on the fordaccesories.com page) ontop of the Rhino. That would really be the best of both worlds between durability (of not denting the bed so easily) and looks (the bedmat is pretty cool looking, with the matching angular pattern that the bumper plastic has).

- Justin

Quick Reply: Rhino liner protection