2004 - 2008 F-150

Rear end howling started when?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear end howling started when?

For those of you that have a howling coming from your rear end, when did it start?

immediatly or at what mileage?

My screw only has 800 km and I have no sound yet, just a little cautious after the posts I have read.

thanx

Old 04-27-2004, 11:21 PM
4200 miles

immediately after they replaced the clutch pack

Old 04-28-2004, 12:09 AM
noticed mine at 950 miles on my way to vegas. Only would happen above 70mph with neutral throttle input. Took it in for the howl and also because I thought I had some limited slip shudder. Dealer did the clutch pack upgrade. Got truck back and could notice immediatley how much more solid the rear end feels. The only problem is it still whines. The service manager was even able to tell me at what speeds I would be able to hear it whine (40mph and 60mph). He says many are like this, even expeditions and older F-150's.

He let me choose another F-150 off the lot to take for a testdrive. I chose another SCrew since I was also concerned about the wind noise I was hearing in my truck.

To make a long story short... The wind noise was the same and I was able to get the rear end to whine on the new one as well.

I was told that I could have more work done to try and get rid of the whine (gear-set, etc..) but I decided to wait a while and see if Ford comes up with a fix. I guess it is pretty much a crap shoot to see if you get a good gear set with properly matched gears that will not whine loud enough to be heard inside of this extremely quite truck...

Quick Reply: Rear end howling started when?