2004 - 2008 F-150

rear end shudder

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear end shudder

I developed the rear end shudder at about 2000 miles---now have 4000----really doesn't bother me tremendously---question is, got my oil changed, and they ordered me new clutch paks for it,,,does this fix the problem?? seems that it didn't for many of you---also, if I let the shudder go, will this mess up the rear end later? Should I ask them to lubricate the yoke, I think I read where this fixed the shudder for some of you ---anyways, just asking for some advice---dont want the howl that some of you have either---

Old 04-15-2004, 05:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just have a question for you real quick.

Do you have an automatic or standard trans?

Old 04-15-2004, 07:37 PM
His profile says 04' FX4. A manual was not an option in all true 2004 models.

Old 04-15-2004, 08:08 PM
The clutch pack does fix the shudder from turning at takeoff. The yoke lube fixes it on straight ahead takeoff and yes, the shudder can cause damage/wear to the LS due to incorrect amount of slippage.
It would be a good idea to reccomend that they lube the yoke because many have had this overlooked. Be tactful though because most service guys don't like being told how to do their job.
The howl may be chance you have to take...Good luck.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:35 PM
How noticeable is the rear end shudder? Mine has about 400 miles on it now. When I slowly press the gas from a stop, I can feel a very slight "shudder" from the rear end. Is it possible that it is just the low end torque being felt through the rear end? I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. Just speculation. Is it a new clutch pack that solves the problem, or silicon lube on the yoke? Anyone know the specific TSBs?

Also, how smooth is the ride supposed to be? Sometimes when I go over so slightly rough roads, it feels like there is some vibration. Not sure if this is normal truck handling or is it supposed to be so smooth you hardly feel anything at all? It's not to so bad that I feel it is going to shake me off the road like some people have mentioned.

Mine is Lariat SCrew built March 04. Job #2. I picked it up Last Friday.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:48 PM
vtn98, My shudder was pretty bad when you were taking off in a turn,or pulling something up hill from a standstill,mine was really bad then,but my dealer replaced the pak's and so far I've had no problem.

Old 04-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh man... please tell me that the new SCREW doesn't have the old shudder that the 01-03's had... not again.

Trending Topics

Old 04-16-2004, 09:36 AM
shudder fix

Had my shudder start around 1300 miles,, could feel it slightly on take off making a left turn,,from info in this forum i went to my dealer,,he had mechanic test it and right away ordered the clutch pack,, took one day to install the clutch pack,,shudder completely gone now,, i have a xlt limited slip,, he (the mechanic) told me ford knows of this problem,, the new clutch pads are made of a material that is too hard and does not absorb any oil,,hence they grab on take off and cause the shudder,, the pads will start to burn over time and should be replaced,, truck runs great now,, since then have only had to have them fix the loose gas door cover,, there is a fix for that too,,needs a clip for the hinge

Old 04-16-2004, 10:02 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to hear that they have a fix for it this time. Please keep us posted... especially if you note any additional problems with the shudder... thanks for the post!

RP

Old 04-16-2004, 02:32 PM
jpmpd,

Was there a TSB out for your fix? Just curious. If I go into get mine looked at, I'd want to be able to mention it to the service guys.
THanks

Old 04-16-2004, 09:30 PM
thanks for your help---

yes, there is a TSB for it---
I do have automatic==
the shudder started slow, and got worse---started with left turn as well----

I dont have the nibble at 65-70mph---do I still need the yoke lubed,, not being stupid, but what will this do??

Old 04-17-2004, 08:58 AM
I had the Clutch Packs replaced about 2K miles ago. I am completly Shudder Free!!!

Search this Forum for shudder and TSB, I have posted all the info from the Service that was done on my FX4 Screw. Others have also posted lots of info, this is not new. You will find some confusion in the Threads where folks aren't sure if "their" problem is exactly like "this" problem. But there is no mistaking, it is exactly as described in this Thread.

My problem was exactly as noted above, shudder on hard left/right......shudder when pulling away SLOWLY....shudder when under a load, such as on a hill.....etc...etc...etc....

I have no Howl either.

My advice would be to go ahead and get the Clutch Packs replaced, and let them know, without question, that you DO NOT HAVE A HOWL coming from your rear end at this time. Get them to note it on the Service Repair Slip that you sign before the work begins.

This will definitely put them on the hook for the Howl, should you develop one.

Good Luck!

Old 04-17-2004, 04:28 PM
I have the sudder, and it seems like its getting worse, but One thing i notice is that i only have it when the truck is cold(after being stopped for hours). When i drive it, i only get the shudder initially, I can stop after that and go again and no shudder.... do you guys notice this or was it everytime you started from stop?

Last edited by mxz600; 04-17-2004 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:04 PM
Primarily on cold starts, but occassionaly when it's been running for a while.

Old 04-17-2004, 06:34 PM
The shudder on mine was the same hot or cold (bad). Had the clutch pack and ring and pinion replaced about 200 miles ago -no shudder or howl...

Quick Reply: rear end shudder