Well like it or not the Tundra was a sucess

Toyota aimed at 100,000 units a year and they have been selling just over that

Owners are really happy with theirs and reliability has been EXCELLENT
The 4.7 has plenty of pep

If it was a real full size I would consider getting one

Can't figure out why they didn't go that route

Old 04-13-2004, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I live by Armada (Aarr Made A ) (a town close to me )Dang Japanese can't even come up with there own name.

Stealers!

Old 04-13-2004, 09:39 PM
Grim

Follow the money trail. Where do the profits go from the sale of a Ford. They stay right here in the USA to people like myself who buy Ford stock. Where do the profits go from purchasing a Japanese vehicle?? Right back to Japan. Lets invest in our own country and not another one.

Just one mans opinion.

Old 04-13-2004, 10:07 PM
I think most people make their first buying decision on looks. It could be the best vehicle ever, but if its really ugly who's going to buy it.

I couldn't agree more. The truck is rock solid on paper, but then you would have to be SEEN in it. It's like putting a bag over an ugly chicks head and doing your business with her. In the morning you never want to see her again.

Old 04-13-2004, 11:19 PM
Re: Grim

Don't you guys really think this is a loser of an issue? The fact is the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord have been best selling cars for many years and will likely remain that way for many more. I am on my 4th Honda car (between my wife and I) and I will tell you that American car manufacturers have a long way to go before they unseat Toyota or Honda. In this part of the country, you see more Japanese sedans on the road than American. I also see more 15 year old Hondas on the road than GM or Ford. I really laugh at the thought that somehow or another parts for my Honda are hard to come by or more expensive. I can go into any parts store anywhere I have ever lived and find any part I need for an Accord. Both Honda and Toyota sell cars under "American Honda Motor Co., Inc” and "Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc", which are separate taxable corporations from their Japanese counterparts. Honda employs 120,000 Americans and there is nothing stopping you from buying Toyota Stock.

FWIW - remember a couple of years ago when the American car manufacturers wanted stickers put on the cars that showed the % of American made parts? Remember which car was highest percentage of American parts at that time? It was the Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord second. IIRC, Ford changed suppliers for many of the Mustang parts to take the #1 spot.

I love my 2004 FX4 SCAB, but I am going to stick with Honda for cars.

Old 04-14-2004, 12:08 AM
The discussion is moving off subject as it has morphed from a titan discussion to a discussion of global macro economics. In previous years, when shopping for a new truck i only looked at chevy and ford. Currently i am looking at chevy, ford and nissan. The nissan is clearly better than the chevy, and arguably as good (or better) than the Ford although for various reasons, i'll probably buy the ford. Ford Truck Marketing is in a street fight with several strong competitors. The increased competion from Nissan (and others) will in the long term identify Ford as a competitor who cant cut the mustard, or it will reveal ford as a manufacturer that copes and grows stronger. Bashing the Titan in the interim as a weak, poor quality, ineffective product is a clear denial of the facts. (also, ragging on the titan about lower than expected sales is a cheap shot. The titan is a brand new product in the most competitve USA vehicle market segment. If you want to talk about disappointing sales, how about the pontiac aztek, recent PT cruiser sales, $5,000 rebates on 2003 crown vics, recent thunderbird sales, the early demise of the lincoln blackwood, chevy cavaliers selling at retail below cost, etc). i have no tie to the car industry, just my two cents. p.s. Expect the truck wars to increase when the Toyota full size truck plant in San Antonio comes on line.

Last edited by 03f150man; 04-14-2004 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:10 AM
I've only owned one Japanese car and it was a 1982 Nissan Sentra. I bought it from my father, who took very good care of it and sold it in 1991 because it was about to fall apart. About 6 years after selling it I ran into the guy who bought it. He said it inly lasted another 2-3 years then the engine blew up and had pretty much rusted away.

My current truck is a 1996 and I've owned many Ford over 15 years old, none of them have given me any problems.

Old 04-14-2004, 12:16 AM
The wife drives an 02 Accord, it is a great car, but i will stick with Ford for trucks, started with a 96 Ranger, then 01 Scab XLT and now my 04, every bit a quality vehicle as the Honda car.
p.s. I have owned a GMC, and Toyota Truck, IMO Ford was and is superior.

Last edited by anaheim; 04-14-2004 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:12 AM
At the top of this thread it says 2004 F150
If I wanted to read about Titans, I would search under 'boat anchors'

Old 04-14-2004, 09:46 AM
4u2catch

RIGHT ON!!!

Old 04-14-2004, 09:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 4u2catch
At the top of this thread it says 2004 F150
If I wanted to read about Titans, I would search under 'boat anchors'
As Stone Cold Steve Austin would say:

HELL YEAH ! ! !

Old 04-14-2004, 11:01 AM
Re: Grim

Originally posted by screwbuilder
Follow the money trail. Where do the profits go from the sale of a Ford. They stay right here in the USA to people like myself who buy Ford stock. Where do the profits go from purchasing a Japanese vehicle?? Right back to Japan. Lets invest in our own country and not another one.

Just one mans opinion.
I'm not arguing that, I'm on my fourth new US Built truck! (91 S-10, 95 Blazer-lemon lawed, 96 Tahoe, '04 Ford) My wife drives an import ('02 Subaru WRX) because there is no American car that compares with it on a reliability/performance basis.

My parents have been driving Fords since 1978 (including a Pinto for God's sake).

The only reason I posted anything about it was to correct an earlier poster--the Titan is built in America, this is a fact.

Grim

Old 04-14-2004, 05:31 PM
You should get your "facts" straight, the Titan is ASSEMBLED here. If the difference escapes you, then you should go back to high school English. You've also mentioned that you only bought the F150 over the Titan because the Titan requires premium fuel, but according to Nissan (and I think they would know) it requires regular. http://www.infinitinews.com/nissan/2...ab/specs.shtml
And I'll agree with screwbuilder.

Old 04-14-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by momalle1
You should get your "facts" straight, the Titan is ASSEMBLED here. If the difference escapes you, then you should go back to high school English. You've also mentioned that you only bought the F150 over the Titan because the Titan requires premium fuel, but according to Nissan (and I think they would know) it requires regular. http://www.infinitinews.com/nissan/2...ab/specs.shtml
And I'll agree with screwbuilder.
Check some auto sites, they use "built" and "assembled" interchangably (I even found one that said the Titan was "built" at the "assembly" plant). They mean the same thing to the general english-speaking population, you're just splitting hairs!

HOWEVER, the Titan was conceived, designed and engineered primarily in North America. Nissan also builds 1.3 million engines in the US every year (Tennessee), some of which go to the Titan plant. Paint, tire and wheel assemblies, frames, seats, exhaust systems, body stampings, suspension components, and interior trim for the Canton, Mississippi Nissan plant all come from other plants in Mississippi. The Titan is most definately built in the US!

Edit: The windshield comes from Tennessee also, I forgot that one.

When I was truck shopping, even the Nissan dealers thought it required premium fuel based on the dealer literature. That's the main reason I didn't buy one, and I drove every full size pickup.

Grim

Last edited by Grim; 04-14-2004 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:31 PM
"I even found one that said the Titan was "built" at the "assembly" plant"

That is pretty funny! I guess we can agree to disagree on the whole buying foreign thing, which is fine. There are plenty of good foreign cars out there, and competition is most beneficial to consumers. Good luck with your '04, you seem to have solved the issues you had with it, it should give you many years of good service.

Quick Reply: Titan Sales "Disappointing." Inventories of Unsold Titans rising