2004 - 2008 F-150

Throttle Response

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blietzkreig, the shop guy was correct. Not a fair comparison from x million software copies electronically stamped in a controlled environment to a Ford product with thousands of moving mechanical parts where each unit is produced one at a time in a factory line over multiple months. One guy mentions a be9 engine chip install and within a few posts the story line become one concerning a be6 code (engine code issue is implied?). People are talking about reflashes (as in reflashing the engine computer?). People mention "drive by wire" as if it is an evil thing and yet this technology has been around and used for many years in multiple applications (jet fighters of course but also in many other cars of today). one guy says his interior gage for indicating outside ambient temperature was incorrect and the "upgrade" to his temperatue display sure did improve his transmission shift points. (? ) Internet access is wonderful but that access is less important than an individual's responsibility to validate what he reads with his own wisdom and knowledge. For what it is worth, and just my opinion, but from reading posts from registered Ford techs( here and on multiple sites), there are very few problems with the new ford 04's. Do problems exist with any new product, whether Chevy or Whirlpool or Trane? You bet.

Old 04-07-2004, 07:49 AM
I also have the throttle delay. Most times I can live with it, but there is one instance where it becomes dangerous.

I'm stopped at an intersection and a car is stopped in front of me. When the light turns green, the car in front starts to move, and I put steady, firm pressure on my accelerator. Nothing happens, so my foot instinctively presses down further. All of a sudden the truck starts to accelerate faster than I want, and I have to hit the brakes to keep from hitting the car in front of me.

This happens way too often. Now I'm learning to wait until the car in front is almost across the intersection before I even hit the gas. People behind are starting to beep at me.

Last edited by Dusty1; 04-07-2004 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:09 AM
I have the same problem Dusty...

Also I tried to do a fast lane change in traffic, to avoid a turning car in front of me. Punched it, and swerved over to beat the car in the other lane...only to have a major hesition and swerving over with no power to the wheels.

How about finessing my FX4 over some rocky 4 wheel low terrain..?
Precise throttle control is needed..

Fly by wire in military jets you say! I guess they don't need any thottle precision?!

There is no getting used to it. I'm jerking my 40k ride all over the city... it is unacceptable

Oh, and there is no way my truck will even squeek the tires on any kind of pavement...even tried it on slush covered roads.

Old 04-07-2004, 09:47 AM
Throttle lag is awful!

I got the latest and greatest PCM update last week while my truck was in for fixing the wrench light and CEL (check engine light) problem. The throttle lag is still there, and it's terrible. I can especially notice it while my truck is coasting between 20-40 MPH, and then I step on the gas to pick up more speed. There's a significant delay from when I step on it and the engine actually responds. It happened a lot while I was driving home from work yesterday in heavy traffic.

This could be very dangerous if one needs an emergency burst of speed for a lane change or to avoid an accident! Ford needs to get this fixed ASAP!!

(Don't get me wrong .... I think my truck, overall, is awesome! This problem is the only thing I don't like about it.)

Last edited by SilvrDrgn; 04-07-2004 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:38 AM
My computer says DVK2 on it and truck was built on 02-04! I will get on it later and see if i have that problem onyl have 300 miles on it so i haven't guned it yet! I will let ya know!

Old 04-07-2004, 10:42 AM
I have noticed that when climbing a fairly steep hill in drive at a speed of 15-20 mph, that when I shift manually into second, it almost seems like I am going into a higher gear. I have to really get into throttle to notice extra pulling power of the lower gear..If I shift down and hold the same throttle position, the shift down has not done me any good..This is different than any vehicle I have ever owned, but might be the way these new fangled rigs work..I have a 97 Grand Prix also and it is not the same as this!

Old 04-07-2004, 10:50 AM
Like you SilvrDrgn, it's the only thing I truly dislike about my truck. I also recently had my PCM flashed and haven't noticed any difference to speak of in any way. Throttle response still sucks! Some claim to have no delay, but ALL the new F-150's have it. Some of us are just more tolerant than others.

My PCM code is BME9. After the reflash, should I have a different code, or is it just an update to the original code?

Old 04-15-2004, 05:25 PM
got mine reflashed today, heres the exact words on the work order:

reprogram pcm with 30.8 level

Dealer said it was the latest one out for the 2004

Old 04-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Mine was reflashed Monday (12 April). EAY2 was my original PCM version, built in Feb '04. The work order does not list the version of the reflash, nor has the sticker under the hood been changed.

I took it in for the throttle delay, and it is no better than it was before the reflash. The dealer said that the other F150s on the lot he checked have the same responsiveness as mine, and there were no codes thrown.

I don't like it, but until there's an actual TSB for it, I'll just have to change my driving style and do a lot more defensive driving. I am getting a bit tired of people behind me beeping when the light turns green...

Old 04-16-2004, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure what computer code I have(I'll check tonight) but my truck was built 10/03 and I don't have any problem breaking the tires loose. even with my 34's. Hell when I had my stock 255's, the damn things would spin(both of them) all the time with only half throttle when I took off.
The only problem I have with the throttle is keeping the truck from moving(forward or backward) on steep grades in traffic without using the brake. the computer takes a little more time to compensate for the fine little adjustments inputed from the pedal.

I'm getting a rip in my seat from the medal plate that does the up and down(power seats) so when I take it in to get that fixed I'll ask about the computer update and see if it addresses my problem. I let ya'll know what I find out.

Quick Reply: Throttle Response