2004 - 2008 F-150

Stuck in 4X4 low mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck in 4X4 low mode

I took my son to do some minor off roading last night such as climbing hills and going thru some small mud holes. This is not my first 4X4 and I know how to operate it. I stopped, put it in neutral and turned the **** to 4 low. It took a while for it to engage, but it worked once it locked it. After about 10 minutes of mud and hill climbing I stopped, put it in neutral and turned the know to 2WD and it would not come out of 4X4 Low. I tried it several times and I even backed up three times. It finally made a awful grinding sound and went it 2WD. Anyone know what the problem may be???

Old 04-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Not that it should, but depending on how much mud you have, historically Mud/Water/Ice/Sand had the potential of locking up the solinoids on the transfer case, or whatever controls the hubs these days. I had heard of people getting stuck into 4low and 4 high and having to drive around like that (in all makes of trucks). The dealer had told me it was no longer a problem and that they were properly protected from that these days.

It could of been at the Hubs or the T-case.

I opted for MSOF.

-ii

Old 04-01-2004, 01:20 PM
I used to have issues with my '97 sticking in low if I didn't use it for several months. It would eventually disengage, but it did take several miles and several tries. The Ford tech I used at the time said to engage/disengage the unit once a month just to keep it free. Ever since then, I put it in low when I go through auto carwashes. I use them once or twice a month, and it makes it easier to creep through the blow dryer.

Old 04-01-2004, 04:41 PM
If it does it again, please have it checked out by a service tech and let us know what they find.

Old 04-01-2004, 07:30 PM
Re: Stuck in 4X4 low mode

Originally posted by mikey88
I took my son to do some minor off roading last night such as climbing hills and going thru some small mud holes. This is not my first 4X4 and I know how to operate it. I stopped, put it in neutral and turned the **** to 4 low. It took a while for it to engage, but it worked once it locked it. After about 10 minutes of mud and hill climbing I stopped, put it in neutral and turned the know to 2WD and it would not come out of 4X4 Low. I tried it several times and I even backed up three times. It finally made a awful grinding sound and went it 2WD. Anyone know what the problem may be???
This happened to me a couple weeks ago. I put the truck in 4 low, drove forward 30 feet, then could not get the truck out of 4 low regardless of how many times I flipped the switch between 4 low, 4 high, and 2 high, or drove forward and reverse 60-100 feet. I finally was able to switch out of 4 low by switching the truck to 4 high and with the truck in drive, hitting the gas hard. Like your truck, my truck also hesitated when switching to 4 low and made a loud clunk when finally leaving 4 low.

I talked to the dealership a couple days later. The problem could not be reproduced at the dealership. Apparently, it is necessary to switch the truck from 4 low to 4 high, wait 15-20 seconds, then switch to 2 high. I was attempting to switch directly to 2 high without waiting more than 3 seconds at 4 high.

Other than a dead key FOB, this is the only problem that I have had with my truck in the last 4 months.

Old 04-02-2004, 08:07 AM
Yeah, it'll take a few seconds for it to engage...and you'll hear it when it does.

For the key FOB, I tried that FOB to the forehead trick from about 40 feet and it worked It always works at least 30 feet away anyway. I think when you put it on your forehead, your body is acting as an antenna.

Old 04-02-2004, 09:45 AM
I put the truck on some ramps yesterday and man it had mud everywhere. That truck has so many areas for mud to get underneath. I used a pressure washer to get most of it but I wish it didn't have so many nooks under it. I didn't try the 4x4 yet but I will today. I never know you should wait a few seconds coming from 4 low to 4 hi and then to 2wd. Hope it's ok

Old 04-02-2004, 10:29 PM
I am almost certain that the brake has to be applied when switching to or from 4L. Try putting trans in neutral with the brake applied then switch to 4L.

Old 04-03-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by DBader
I am almost certain that the brake has to be applied when switching to or from 4L. Try putting trans in neutral with the brake applied then switch to 4L.
That was almost certainly a contributing factor in my case - I remember taking my foot off the brake after the truck did not immediately switch to 4 low, and then the truck switched to 4 low about 5 seconds later. I probably made the same mistake when trying to take the truck out of 4 low (in addition to trying to immediately switch to 2 high). Thanks for the tip.

Old 04-03-2004, 09:43 PM
It will engage in this order also.

1. Put Trans in neutral

2. Switch to 4L

3. Apply brake

It will work the same way going back to 4H or 2H.

Old 04-04-2004, 09:29 AM
I know with MSOF there is no braking needed. You can switch in to 4Lo, at about 3MPH.

-ii

Quick Reply: Stuck in 4X4 low mode