2004 - 2008 F-150

Plastic broke in SCAB rear doors

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plastic broke in SCAB rear doors

I put the truck in for service, had 4 items to get looked at...

1. Outside temp reading wrong
2. Flareside box not aligned perfectly
3. vibration in rear doors when music is bassey
4. Shudder in rearend when starting from cold stop.

So anyway, they only had time to fix the outside temp and they opened up the rear doors, took em apart and found plastic at the bottom of the door, they didn't know what it was for and couldnt' see anything wrong, said they fixed the vibration, but alas, NO!

So anyway, I read this in another post of a guy who had this hard plastic stuff in the bottom of the rear doors, the guy at the dealership couldn't tell me what it was for, just that everything was good now, i go out and find that i still got vib. with alot of bass. anyway, they were closing up and i went home.

Old 03-26-2004, 07:27 PM
I haven't taken any plastic out of my scab door's yet, but I've experianced a vibration/rattle in the rear doors (passenger side) with the audiophile turned up high. I noticed it today on my drive home so I turned the radio off and the "noise" stopped, turned the radio on and "noise" came right back. Obvioulsy a speaker related issue, possiably loose. However I tightened my jack down under the rear seat and in my drive way with the audiophile turned up really loud I didn't hear any vibration's at any speakers front or rear.

So my suggestion, LOL, tighten down your jack.

Old 03-26-2004, 10:05 PM
i got no audiophile, just 6disk. Oh and when i put down the rear passenger window, i heard an awful clunk sound, like the window got caught in something, only happened once and told the dealer about it.

Old 03-26-2004, 11:03 PM
JKC
Unhappy What the f@*k is it for?

First off, thanks in spades to QuikSlvr for his post ( here ) on how to disassemble the rear door. If you’re ever in Denver, I owe you a beer - or ten.

Irony of ironies - when I go to do a search to dissemble the rear door, I come upon this thread.

I shut my SCAB LR door today and heard something drop. WTF was that, was my first thought. After searching, finding QuikSlvr’s post, and dissembling the door, and removing the speaker, I removed from the bottom of the door this!

Three pieces of plastic.

They came from a plastic panel glued to the interior of the skin of the door shown here. (Photo was shot by sticking the camera upside down through the speaker opening.)

What in the heck is that for! Some type of added afterthought to prevent the door from doing god knows what? (Vibration, sound). As you can see it is cracked and, although I gently pulled on the pieces to see if any more were loose, will probably shed further pieces.

THAT – is your fricking rattle – I guarantee it.

Okay, what is it for and what is destroying it.

Yes, I have the audiophile system...

Last edited by JKC; 03-26-2004 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:45 PM
I had this in my rear doors. Dealer told me it was sound insulation. I also had the terrible noise when I put the rear windowdown, but just once.

It was fixed about two months ago, and no clunk has returned to the doors.

Old 03-27-2004, 08:09 PM
I bet it's coming unglued and it begins to stick out a little. Then when you put the window down it gets caught on it and snaps it off. Oops!

Old 03-28-2004, 01:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my truck in to the dealer for this too. They took a big chunk out. This was back in Jan. The rattle has come back in the past few weeks. So today I took the door apart myself and low and behold what do I find not one piece but 3 quite large pieces. I also looked up inside the door. It has 2 sheets of this stuff (about 6" tall and 10" wide) glued to the skin. The top one was the one that broke appart. What came out looked like it had warped and come loose. I think this stuff may be a pad for the window when it is rolled down. You can see in this pic that the window track is right in front of where the plastic was.

This is all of the plastic I got out of my door today.

Last edited by pa_wolf62; 03-28-2004 at 02:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Plastic broke in SCAB rear doors