2004 - 2008 F-150

Homelink talking to X10?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Homelink talking to X10?

OK, I tried to search through the archives, and have not found this answer, so here goes.

The new 04 F150 has a homelink transmitter in the overhead visor. According to www.homelink.com they are a partner with X10. I want to program one of my buttons to interface with an X10 wireless transceiver in the house and turn on my outside flood lights when i drive up. Then, I do not need to run the outside lights all evening.

OK, the real question... homelink sells an interface kit for the transceiver to talk with the truck. X10 sells one that is a fraction of the price and looks the same. Since they are partners, does the X10 work with homelink? The X10 comes with a remote (key fob) to turn on/off lights.

I called X10 to ask and they have no idea.

Anyone tried this...ie X10 wirelesss transceiver in the house + X10 wall switch for outside lights = turn on/off from truck homelink and be exceptionally cooler than the neighbors..

Old 01-16-2004, 02:40 PM
Sorry, I have no answer for you. But please post, if you find out anything. I would really like to turn on some lights to when I arrive.

Scott

Old 01-16-2004, 02:56 PM
YES IT WORKS.

I had to try three of four times to "teach" the homelink the X10 remote but it finally took and now it works. You'll use one homelink button to turn on and one to turn off unless you just want to turn on.

It works with my x10, ibm and RCA branded gear (all x10 compatible) as well.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:09 PM
exquisite.

If you are wondering what I am talking about...

X10 trasceiver - part number TM751 price $12.99 www.x10.com
Wall switch (X10 compatible) - no part number seen. They are buy one get one free right now.

You can also get kits and other automation stuff off of ebay pretty cheap.

there are programming instructions on www.homelink.com.

Now, I just need the truck...

Old 01-16-2004, 03:33 PM
FYI ... after testing the homelink a bit, the reception of the x10 receiver seems to be pretty limited. I have to be ~10 ft or less from my garage door to make the connection & I have the x10 reciever module plugged into an outlet in my garage. It works , just don't think you can turn the lights on from down the street.

For comparison I can open my Genie garage door opener from ~75 yards with the homelink.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:37 PM
I have used an X-10 system in my house for about 4 years and have used the Homelink in my Honda Odyssey to control the lights. I don't have my F-150 yet but it should work the same.

The transiever will work with the Homelink but you have to have a X-10 remote to program it. I used their "Palm Pad" remote. You treat it just like a garage door opener, just hold it close to the Homelink buttons while programming.

I used a X-10 macro (via the X-10 PC interface) to turn on all the lights in and around the house when I press my Homelink button. After 15 minutes the floodlights outside turn off and after 30 minutes the garage lights turn off. This allows plenty of time to unload the vehicle and works very nicely. I also have several internal and external lights programmed to come on randomly every night for security.

Overall the X-10 system is great. The only problem I've had is the wall switches are not as durable as I would like. I have had to replace several over the years, but they are so cheap compared to Leviton or other "brand name" systems that it is worth the extra hassle. You can almost buy 3 X-10 switches for what you pay for one Leviton.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Quick Reply: Homelink talking to X10?