2004 - 2008 F-150

XM Commander Install tonight and question . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM Commander Install tonight and question . .

. . . I'd been complaining to my wife that I wanted satellite radio but didn't want anything attached to dash, etc. I've kept commenting how something would fit perfect in the ash tray. After reading several of y'all's comments on the XM Commander today I've made an appointment to have one installed by Best Buy tonight. Will they need rig something up to make it fit just right in the ash tray space or is it a "perfect" fit?

Old 11-20-2003, 03:05 PM
Are you using the factory head unit? I had my factory unit replaced at Tweeter last week with an Alpine 9815. XM tuner was installed at the same time.
Originally, the installer thought he would put the XM tuner under one of the seats. Talking with him after, however, he told me there was plenty of room under the tray in the center of the dash - so he installed it there.
If you're using the factory head unit, you'll need to use FM modulation, and that means you'll need to put the tuner out in the cab somewhere.
I think I read a thread earlier where someone mounted theirs in the ashtray. I'd like to see that...

Old 11-21-2003, 12:05 AM
XM

Check out my post under "Any Update on Satellite Radio, Aux Inputs, etc???". I have pics of my xm commander install. I put it in the ashtray and I am ver pleased.

Kevin

Old 11-21-2003, 03:25 AM
I thought about the ashtray install a while ago when I saw a really small sirius unit. Here is a pic of Kevingab's install from his gallery. Hey kevin, this looks Awsome! Who did the work and how much did it cost all together?

Old 11-21-2003, 10:39 AM
Got it installed in the . .

. . . space where the ashtray was. By putting it in the existing ash tray we couldn't get the ashtray to close so they took the ashtray out, manufactured a nice black mounting piece to fit the space and put it in that way. Looks great. Can't post pics till I get it home tonight.

Old 11-21-2003, 06:43 PM
XM

I've copied my post from another forum...

Sorry about the lack of pics. I mounted the antenna right ahead of the cab light light. Two phillips screws and pulled off the light and was looking at the headliner. I ran the wire around the edge of the weatherstripping on the drivers side all the way to the left dash panel. I cut a 2x4 (yes wood) with about a 7 degree angle on it to mount the commander unit. I took my time and it took about 2 1/2 hours, but I was very careful and was in no hurry. You have to drill a hole through the back of the ashtray to run the cable for the unit. I used the power wires from the stereo and mounted the xm base unit below the ashtray on the floor. There is a lot of room back there, but I didn't get real fancy. I just mounted it on the floor. I used two sided tape to mount the commander unit to the 2x4 and to mount the 2x4 to the ashtray unit. The actual ashtray has to be removed, which is nice because when I sell the truck I can take the XM out and stick the ashtray back in and you will never know it was there.

You have to get it low enough to clear the panel or it won't close. Look at my pics, it is about as close as you can get without hitting. It is very readable in direct sunlight. It is obstructed a little when the truck is in park, but that doesn't bother me. I took my time and it took about 2 1/2 hours, but I was very careful and was in no hurry. Here are the pics.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...y.cfm?gnum=3456

I hope that works
Thanks
Kevin

MCG DAWG - love to see your pics

Quick Reply: XM Commander Install tonight and question . .