2004 - 2008 F-150

MPG gauge fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MPG gauge fix

Will the outside temp fix also fix my MPG gauge problem? It jumps from 7 to 16 even when sitting at a light. I have tried resetting it, but it does the same every time. My 03 Exp. works fine, up and down depending on if your on the gas or sitting still. Does my truck gauge do the same when working right or does it stay on the same number until you reset it? Sorry if this as been answered already.

Last edited by Dupuis; 11-11-2003 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:48 AM
No one has had this problem? I will be taking it in this week. Just thought some one had been through this.
Thanks

Old 11-12-2003, 11:40 AM
I think I read that the MPG indicator takes a reading when you reset it. It should not be constantly updating like some others do.

Old 11-12-2003, 11:59 AM
Mine does adjust as I drive. Depending on how I'm driving, it will increase and decrease MPG (by tenths). When I reset it (at each fill up), it will rapidly change and adjust to the driving conditions and will eventually level out.

Old 11-12-2003, 07:48 PM
I too have noticed that if you hit the reset button while in the mpg mode, it will switch to instant mileage readings. It will go up to the mid 20's and higher when cruising at a good speed and then letting up on the peddle.

To get it to reset and go back to overall mpg readings, I have to turn truck off, hitting the reset again has not worked for me.

freddy

Old 11-13-2003, 02:54 PM
Just wondering, which way is it suppost to be, one reading for the avg. or ajusting to my driving?

Old 11-16-2003, 05:15 PM
This is an easy one guys. The MPG calculation is taking a running average of instantaneous mileage. What this means is that every second or so (depending on how often it is configured by Ford to update) it looks at the current fuel mileage that you're getting at that instant. It then averages this with some number of previous readings and displays the results.

When you reset the computer, the previous instaneous numbers are all cleared. That means that the first MPG it displays will be the same as the first instantaneous MPG reading. The second will be an average of the first two readings, the third the average of the first three readings, and so on. Eventually, it will be displaying the results from averaging probably a hundred or more instaneous readings and you will see little variation, but right after a reset, until it has more readings to average together, you can see some pretty wild swings.

It sounds to me like it's working just as it should. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: MPG gauge fix