2004 - 2008 F-150

Chintzy tailgate protector

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chintzy tailgate protector

Has anybody else had problems with the plastic protector at the top of the tailgate? There is 3/8" - 1/2" of gap between the plastic and the top of the metal tailgate due to the plastic push-on tabs used to connect the two. I loaded my 4-wheeler into the new truck this weekend using my ramps; the ramps pushed against the tailgate and popped one of the plastic tabs loose. I was able to remove the access panel on the tailgate and fix it, but the service department told me not to put weight on the top of the tailgate. Having been a contractor for 20+ years and used to loading lumber across the top of the tailgate, this was astonishing news to me. Not that I intend to use this as a work truck, but it does seem to be a poor design. The chevy/GMC's tailgate protector is a very thick & solid plastic piece that I have seen support a lot of weight with no problem.

I was told this is a Ford generic design common to the superduty trucks also. Maybe there are replacement tailgate protectors out there someplace????

Old 09-23-2003, 03:46 PM
You could get the spray-in liner and get the over-the-rail protection.

Old 09-23-2003, 04:57 PM
Exactly what I was thinking; I already had the spray-in scheduled for next week and might change it to include over-the-rails. Just don't know how durable the spray-in will be over the top of the tailgate, I've always had a metal protector there.

Old 09-23-2003, 05:19 PM
I just found out from the body shop that is working on my truck that when they take the bed rail protectors off (and tailgate protetor I assume) the snaps that hold them on break and fall INTO the inside of the bed. They said not a big deal, they just order new snaps but I gotta wonder if this is going to rattle.

Old 09-24-2003, 11:40 AM
I'm having second thoughts about having over-the-rail bedliner applied. There are literally dozens of holes in the top of the bed and tailgate where the plastic caps mount; these holes would be exposed without a hard cover over them. I think I'll stay with the factory tailgate cap until and unless an aftermarket one becomes available.

Quick Reply: Chintzy tailgate protector