2004 - 2008 F-150

I drove one on Sunday :>

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 03:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I drove one on Sunday :>

First of all I have been reading this board for a couple of months now. I am really excited about the new 2004 f-150. This will be the first “New” car that I purchase. I have driven Fords for Many years including Mustangs, Explorers, and F-150’s. After reading on this forum on Sunday I read that a Ford F-150 had arrived at Galpin Ford in North Hills Ca (near Los Angeles). I called the dealer and the person on the phone was very pleasant. He invited me to visit the lot and drive the vehicle. When I got to the dealer I asked the first salesperson I saw about the 04 f-150 and he told me that there were none on the lot. I would not be turned away that easy. I walked over to the main dealer Office and talked to one of the sales managers Tony. He confirmed that there was one on the lot. He asked a sales person bring the truck over from a lot about two blocks away. I could not wait; I told the salesperson that I wanted to walk over with him to see the truck for myself. The Truck was in a lot along with some of their “show” trucks like the Evel Knievel f-150. It was love at first sight. The truck was a grey STX Supercab. The truck had a grey cloth interior and manual windows. The new truck definitely has more room in the back than the current model, in fact I think that the back has as much room in the back as the current Chevy extended cab (not that I would ever buy one of those hideous trucks). The rear windows on the Supercab did not pop open or move in any way but the sales person told me that later production models would be offered with rear power windows in the Supercab?????????? If this is true this is an option that I would like. The tailgate was easy to open and the extra depth in the bed is VERY nice. In fact there was an f-250 about two trucks over and this truck was about the same height as the f-250. Now for the bad points, the jack is located under the rear right passenger seat and it takes up about 1/3 of the room under the rear seat when the seat is raised. The finish on the truck could have been better, for example the passenger rear door appeared to need a little adjustment, It took a strong slam to close it properly and even then it appeared to have a little play. Some of the rubber screws under the hood (the ones used toward the front as bumpers when you close the hood) were over-sprayed and painted grey, this minor detail might confuse buyers when you try to re-sell the truck, they might believe that the truck might have been repainted in the front. I use to rebuild vehicles and people always look at the screws and bumpers for signs of previous damage.
Now for the drive, the truck had the smaller v-8. I was not impressed with the acceleration on the truck. This truck only had 25 miles on it and maybe this will improve after it is broken in. After driving it I think I am going to pay the extra $800 and get the 5-liter v-8. The interior was VERY quiet and the new suspension was great. Overall this truck is a strong 9/10 for Ford. All I have to do now is wait for the rebates to start and one will be parked in my driveway.

Last edited by corral; 08-21-2003 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
corral,

Great review. The rear side windows in the SuperCab do roll down but I guess only if you get power windows.

Old 08-21-2003, 07:32 AM
I was able to test drive a Lariat supercab last night. The rear windows were power and did go all the way down. It was a 4X4 and it had a better ride than my 2001 2X4 Lariat, and almost no road noise, going to have to keep an eye on the speed. The overhead rail system looks cheap, would look better if it was full of compartments. The leather was not as smooth or as soft as mine, but looks like it might be more durable. Looks like there may be a 2004 in the future for me.

Old 08-21-2003, 02:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Corral are you sure it was a FX4 and not an STX? I'm pertty sure that FX4s have power windows and locks and the rear windows also are power down. They also come standard with the 5.4 V8.

Old 08-21-2003, 04:55 PM
Confirmed:

FX4's come standard w/5.4 V8 and Power Windows.
I just ordered mine...cant wait!

Old 08-21-2003, 05:53 PM
Sorry, It was an STX and NOT and FX4

Sorry, you are right pa_wolf62 it was an STX. and Not an FX4.

Quick Reply: I drove one on Sunday :>