2004 - 2008 F-150

XM in 04

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question XM in 04

I was wondering if anyone out there has any info on putting XM in the new 04. I did read something somewhere about it being an option for the overhead rail system. I don't want to take out the stock radio, because I don't want to hurt the looks of the interior. Anyway anyone have any info?

Old 08-05-2003, 09:12 PM
Im really not sure why theyd put it into the overhead railsystem, and Ive been trying to find the answer to the same question. All Ive been able to find out is that the stereo is supposedly be Sirius ready, unfortunately. I hope that you can put XM in as well.

Old 08-05-2003, 09:45 PM
The word I got is that XM is GM exclusive. You can however, add it to any system.

I too want XM, I think it's hogwash that XM has an exclusive with GM....

Who sells more trucks ????? (FORD)

Nuff Said!

freddy

Old 08-05-2003, 10:21 PM
XM vs Sirius

Don't know much about either of these services but are there significant differences in them? Would there be any advantage of one over the ofher or need for having both?

Old 08-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Screen Savers & Recommendations ?

Tonight's SS on Tech TV was a repeat of a road test of both XM and Sirus. They discussed the slightly different channel offerings, liked both but gave the nod to XM has having better sound due to less compression.

I got the basic radio in my Lariat (wanted no radio but could no do it) so I can replace it with an XM capable unit with a MP3 capability. Looking for recommendations?

After delivery I start serious shopping.

Old 08-05-2003, 10:44 PM
I doubt it.

I doubt if you will see factory installed XM in any Ford. Ford has a partnership agreement with Sirius (you can verify this at the Sirius website). When Ford finally starts offering satellite ready sound systems, they will most likely be Sirius. Sirius is partner with Ford, BMW, and Daimler-Chrysler. XM is partner with GM, Honda and Nissan. If you want factory installed XM you will need to get a vehicle from one of those. GM is also an investor in XM. Factory XM in a Ford - not likely.

Old 08-10-2003, 12:02 AM

Trending Topics

Old 08-10-2003, 12:54 PM
Of course more questions.....

Any one with an opinion on Visteon's radios?

This looks lile something Ford should have offered.

Is this really any better than an Alpine, Panasonic or any
other after market product?

If so how would you get it?

Thanks, LoneWolf

Old 08-10-2003, 01:37 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Screen Savers & Recommendations ?

Originally posted by jstevens
...I got the basic radio in my Lariat (wanted no radio but could no do it) so I can replace it with an XM capable unit with a MP3 capability. Looking for recommendations?

After delivery I start serious shopping.
Pioneer DEH-P7500 (it's XM ready and is an awesome head unit).

Having XM myself, I can assure you that it's well worth it's weight in gold. I never listen to FM/AM anymore... and very rarely a CD.

You will not see XM stock in any FoMoCo vehicles... as it has been said before, XM has an agreement with GM and Ford has one with Sirius.

The primary differences between the two are the channel selections (which don't vary dramatically) and advertising. XM has a few advertisements per hour on **SOME** channels (not all).

XM is cheaper per month and, in my book, is a better product.

The numbers don't lie either... The number of XM subscribers far surpass the number of Sirius users.

RP

Old 08-10-2003, 05:53 PM
Don't you think there are more XM subscribers simply because it costs less per month? When I was first looking at Satellite radio, I was leaning toward XM simply for that reason. When really got into researching it, specifically checking out the channel offerings and listening to both via their websites, I ended up going with Sirius because I liked their programming lineup better.

The choice is a matter of personal preference as they aren't dramatically different. Even the cost difference only amounts to 10 cents per day ($36 per year). I spend almost twice that every month for cable TV service.

I have Sirius and love it. It has more music channels and they are ALL 100% commercial free (XM's channels aren't) Maybe this accounts for the cost difference.

Since I have had Sirius I have found out that GM is a major investor in XM. This is another reason I am glad I made the choice I did. Being a Ford guy, why would I want to pay GM $10 per month?

Advice to anyone trying to decide - look at more than the cost and choose the one that best fits your needs. You can't go wrong with either.

Old 08-10-2003, 09:45 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by cfjdman
Don't you think there are more XM subscribers simply because it costs less per month?...
Honestly, I don't think it is. Sure, I can't deny that a significant percentage of users jumped on board because of the price however; when users like Best Buy employees and Crutchfield.com phone reps rave about it... something must be right.

Long story short, when XM and SIRIUS showed up on the scene, department heads at BB, Circuit City, and a number of others were given FREE subscriptions to use and play with. Most all of them jumped on board and tested it out...

After talking with TWO individuals who had access to free programming from both of the services, BOTH went with XM and are currently paying for their service (as they were only giving out a free year of service to the guys (but they did get free equipment)).

I'm certainly not knocking SIRIUS. It's a good product and I'm glad that Ford got on board with it and brought their packages into the dashboards of FoMoCo vehicles but, I don't think it's the superior of the two.

Just my two cents...

But, like you mentioned, to whoever is reading this. Do your research and figure out what is best for you. Ask around... go to Best Buy and pick their brains... call crutchfield... go to circuit city... figure out what's best for you and jump on it. The sound quality, selection, and variety is PURELY AWESOME when it comes to Sat Radio.

RP

Old 08-10-2003, 09:46 PM
Re: Of course more questions.....

Originally posted by jstevens
Any one with an opinion on Visteon's radios?

This looks lile something Ford should have offered.
Aren't all Ford radios made by Visteon?

Old 08-10-2003, 10:59 PM
I currently have XM in my truck, and love it. But I am finding I am going back to FM just because of the lack of variety. Dont get me wrong, it has great variety, but the same old stations get very boring and they dont have variety within the variety.......I think that makes sense. I sampled Sirius at Best Buy today and really liked it. Lots more rock and hiphop stations. Sirius DOES NOT however have 100 channels like they claim they do and one of those 100 they dont have is comedy, I like it. All in all, Ill be going with Sirius because ford radios are Sirius ready. I dont think it will be too bad.

Old 08-11-2003, 08:17 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by fordabbits
... they dont have is comedy, I like it. All in all, Ill be going with Sirius because ford radios are Sirius ready. I dont think it will be too bad.
You're right. You're going to love it... I haven't heard of any Sat Radio subscriber being totally disgusted with either of the two services....

But you're right... the Comedy channel (ComedyxL) is one of the best channels on XM IMHO. I listened to it on the way to work this morning and was CRYING laughing (this after getting in the truck still half-asleep). I know the people at the stoplights that see me cracking up beyond belief must think I'm a few french fries short of a happy meal but, I don't care.

RP

Old 08-11-2003, 08:19 AM
Have the Facts

Fordabbits,

Sirius Comedy, stream 147 - I listen to it often.

Correct, Sirius does not have 100 channels, it has 105. (Compared to 101 on XM)

You will like Sirius if you like XM. I have noticed that you get a lot of repetition on the comedy channel, but I haven't really noticed that problem with the music channels on Sirius.

Like I said in a earlier post, the most important thing is to do the research.