2004 - 2008 F-150

What happened to the 5 Speed Trans? Drive by wire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What happened to the 5 Speed Trans? Drive by wire?

In all the paperwork I've read through on this new 04 there is NO mention of offering a manual transmission. Is Ford phasing these out? Is there something I don't know about Ford's 5 speeds. Even the deelerships don't know what's up. Is the 2003 F150 the last of a dying breed of manual transmission trucks?

It seems like Ford has a lot of confidence with onboard computers. What's with the new drive-by-wire gas pedal. No more cable to the throttle control. It's all done by sensors. Sounds scetchy?

Should we buy an 03 or an 04?

Old 05-28-2003, 09:41 AM
I dunno about the 04 drive by wire, but can assume that's how all of the new stuff will be going in the future. If you like the 03 styling, get the 03. If you want more power, new body style wait for the 04 or possibly the 05 if your not in a hurry.

Old 05-28-2003, 12:39 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drive by wire has been around for a few years in production vehicles. The Lincon LS came out in 2000 as Ford's first US vehicle with it. I currently have a car with Electronic Throttle Control and it has been fine for 32k miles.

Manual trans: Something like 10% of F-150's sold are manual. Ford has to save money by limiting the number of combinations of this new truck, at least initially. The complexity of options/configurations you can get in a truck compared to say a sedan is huge. Honda, for example, has trim levels and there are no options at the plant. You want certain options, you take the cheapest trim level with said options. Ford is starting to do this with their vehicles with packages, like delux, premium, power premium, etc. It is just a lot cheaper to manufacture and Ford is in financial trouble right now. If it loses 10% of the market (or gets half of that to upgrade) for one year, or 6 months, it is still better off. As I understand, the currrent design is going to be carryover for thos that want cheap trucks, V6 and/or manual trans. Just business.

Old 05-28-2003, 12:55 PM
It looks like the first 6 months of 2004's will all be XLT and up in Supercab and Supercrew.

F150 Classic will probably fill the need for regular cabs, work trucks, V6 and manuals. 2005, once the Classic is phased out, will probably see the new truck in all forms.

Old 05-28-2003, 02:07 PM
Angry 10% of the market

I guess my perception of the "Tough Truck" Image is that the vehicle is rugged and lacks the foo foo. Although automatic transmissions have their place in cities and traffic jams I feel that they lack two important features of a manual transmission. Bump Starting and Downhill speed control.

When you spend most of your time in rural areas and off road this becomes an important factor. If your battery dies while you're out in the boonies at least you can push it to life. If you're creeping down a steep hill you can keep the truck in the lowest geer possible. The automatics can't do it.

The reality is that it boils down to the All-Mighty dollar. The cities are too big and no one at Ford leaves their office long enough to experience the great outdoors.

Maybe that's a little extreme, but it really is all about money these days.

Old 05-28-2003, 03:46 PM
Re: 10% of the market

Originally posted by ckhawaii
I guess my perception of the "Tough Truck" Image is that the vehicle is rugged and lacks the foo foo. Although automatic transmissions have their place in cities and traffic jams I feel that they lack two important features of a manual transmission. Bump Starting and Downhill speed control.

When you spend most of your time in rural areas and off road this becomes an important factor. If your battery dies while you're out in the boonies at least you can push it to life. If you're creeping down a steep hill you can keep the truck in the lowest geer possible. The automatics can't do it.

The reality is that it boils down to the All-Mighty dollar. The cities are too big and no one at Ford leaves their office long enough to experience the great outdoors.

I like a stick as well, cause where I live I'm going up and down hills to go anywhere. But there's one other reason to use an auto that you didn't mention....towing. I can probably live with the auto.

Old 05-28-2003, 06:31 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 10% of the market

I prefer manual as well, but for my cars, not my truck. Bump starting would be nice, but downhill speed control is handled by cutting the fuel and/or spark to cylinders. Besides, you can always control the gear in an automatic by downshifting on the colounmn.

As you say, it boils down to money. Ford makes a lot of money on F-Series, something like 50% of their profit or more. The higher the model, the more profit so that is what is being marketed first to those that can afford the really nice trucks to tool around town.

Old 05-28-2003, 07:08 PM
Downshifting on an Automatic

My experience so far with shifting it into a lower gear on an automatic is that the vehicle still rolls too fast down steep inclines. With a stick, you drop it into first and you go slow. I like being able to use the gears rather than the breaks in situations like that.

Oh, when it comes to driving mountain roads, you can downshift coming into the turn and be ready to accelerate coming out. Automatics don't provide that - even with the overdrive off. I know trucks aren't race cars but it's nice to have that extra control when you're on the road.

Old 06-02-2003, 12:17 PM
2 things....

F150's equipeed with auto can tow more than manuals

engine braking? I'd rather replace brake pads than a tranny/clutch or overrev an engine

Old 06-02-2003, 01:35 PM
Re: Downshifting on an Automatic

My experience so far with shifting it into a lower gear on an automatic is that the vehicle still rolls too fast down steep inclines. With a stick, you drop it into first and you go slow. I like being able to use the gears rather than the breaks in situations like that.

Oh, when it comes to driving mountain roads, you can downshift coming into the turn and be ready to accelerate coming out. Automatics don't provide that - even with the overdrive off. I know trucks aren't race cars but it's nice to have that extra control when you're on the road.
Why don't you shift the transfer case into 4-Low? I've done this a number of times on steep muddy trails.

Quick Reply: What happened to the 5 Speed Trans? Drive by wire?