1997 - 2003 F-150

2001 f1-50 5.4 triton 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 f1-50 5.4 triton 4x4

So I recently replaced my intake manifold and after doing so I didn't see any coolant leaks for a few weeks now I have done a radiator fluid flush about 5 times and now I have a bad coolant leak I don't think it's the intake and no fluid in the cab to indicate althe hear core I don't see any fluid visible from the hood unless I look under the intake I can kinda see in the way back it drips down the transmission fluid box and on the ground that's how I noticed it but I can't tell if it's the intake or a hose or something I can't see can anyone point me in the right direction please!

Old 07-11-2022, 08:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I hate to say it, but if it wasn't leaking prior to you working on the intake manifold, and now it's leaking. Good chances the seals aren't sitting correctly or the mating surfaces weren't cleaned that well.

Time to start taking it all apart and double-checking.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-11-2022, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the intake was replaced a few weeks ago. I've drove it after the intake and didn't notice any coolant. So I decided to flush the coolant. I got some cleaner for the flushed and the yellow universal coolant. That's what auto zone told me to do for a flush. After I did the flush I let it sit for a week or so with just starting it and not driving it. Then I decided to take the trash to the dumpster and now it's puddling where the water pump hose is on top of the engine. So I don't know if the force of the air is pushing the coolant out from the pool where it is collecting if it's the water pump itself or if the intake is the issue I have the intake off and the seals look perfect no broken plastic off the intake. Once I got the intake off I can see the thermostat gasket which was brand new a month ago was completely destroyed and I even seen a piece of it sticking out from the top of the thermostat so I know that needs replaced but there was no sign of the being my major leak
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I hate to say it, but if it wasn't leaking prior to you working on the intake manifold, and now it's leaking. Good chances the seals aren't sitting correctly or the mating surfaces weren't cleaned that well.

Time to start taking it all apart and double-checking.

Old 07-11-2022, 11:09 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Check the pipe and hose from the water pump. Replace that stat gasket.

Quick Reply: 2001 f1-50 5.4 triton 4x4