1997 - 2003 F-150

97 4.6 #4 cylinder spark plug problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 4.6 #4 cylinder spark plug problems

I changed the wires on this thing, and noticed the #4 boot was hard to remove, but I finally managed to get it off in one piece. When installing the new boot/wire on #4, it just will not seat itself. Using a mirror to look into the hole, I see what looks like a metal tab about 1/4 inch wide that seems to be on the side of the well, sticking out maybe an 1/8 inch, and is near the top of the plug just below where the metal electrode is. It seems to be obstructing the boot from going on, and I also tried to place a socket on the plug to remove it, and could not. I fear I am losing my mind here, has anyone seen this? All the other cylinders were fine, the boots seated with no issues. and there is no such tab visible in any of them. The new wire is an exact match for what I removed.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Are you sure you didn't break anything off the boot and rammed it into hole so the socket won't fit no more?

Also, Hyde Park... not to change the subject, but have you tried Greig Farms? They got some great apples and strawberries! They are right off 9G in Red Hook... highly recommend them...

Old 07-09-2019, 03:15 PM
Seems to be a metal looking thing, I will try to get a picture of it if possible. I wonder too if it is a piece from a previous broken plug or boot that is jammed in there in the past. I just wish there was better access to it.
I have been to a festival at Greig farms a while ago, nice place...

Old 08-23-2019, 02:11 PM
Finally got this resolved, I ended up taking a piece of 3/4 copper pipe, inserted it into the hole, and kept tapping on it with a hammer, finally whatever was hanging up apparently broke free and I was able to get the spark plug boot installed, now I have an 8 cylinder again. I think there may have been something metal down in there that ended up melting/fusing onto the side of the hole, but access is so bad to that plug hole that I can only guess...

Old 08-23-2019, 05:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Good to hear! Neat way of doing it.

Have you ever used a mechanic's mirror and a cell phone? You can make a poor man's bore scope.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:38 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Good to hear! Neat way of doing it.

Have you ever used a mechanic's mirror and a cell phone? You can make a poor man's bore scope.

you can also buy a camera with a flex for your cell phone that is pretty cheap. like $10 depending where you get it from

Old 08-29-2019, 10:34 PM
I was using a mechanics mirror and a flashlight, but could not really see too well.. Never thought of the cell phone idea, will keep that in mind down the road...

Quick Reply: 97 4.6 #4 cylinder spark plug problems