1997 - 2003 F-150

Flex-Lite 270 Installed: A thorough E-Fan Review

Old 04-18-2019, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flex-Lite 270 Installed: A thorough E-Fan Review

Some friends and I installed a Flex-Lite 270 E-Fan installed on my 2000, 4.2 V6 5spd.

Performance report:

1. Absolutely ENORMOUS difference in engine noise. My truck went from sounding like an old UPS truck, to eh hm.. an effen TRUCK! I can hear my bloody Flowmaster exhaust now. Man, I'm simply speechless! YES, it's that's much of a difference.
2. A/C blows cold AF (pretty much like all the other reports of those who installed it).
3. MPG: I haven't measured that yet, but how could there not be a gain with all that mass the engine is now not turning.
4. Horsepower: since I have not access to a dyno to scientifically measure it - but I can report this - I run 34s on it and before it felt "eh" at best, dipping towards "doggish." Now, it's not that AT ALL. Am I smoking the tires? lol No! However, it's a marked NOTICEABLE difference. The motor runs considerable smoother (on all fronts) including accelerating up towards and through the power band, which is now is enjoyable. Before I was relegating myself to the idea that I'll be suffering Great Granny-like acceleration and now it's far better.
5. Blowing: The sheer amount of air these fans move is dramatically more than the original. Driving to the grocery store (nearby) in the evening, it only ran for about 15 seconds on the way back. **It's got to save on fuel considering the original fan was just beating the air all the time!?!**

Installation:
1. It wasn't that easy (mainly due to the directions sending us on a bit of a goose-chase) and it sure wasn't as quick as the install vids on YT by a long shot. There are a few steps that 100% Flex-Lite should have done at the factory, i.e. the control box should come mounted, including all holes drilled. Those tasks are put off on the consumer and the job takes long enough to do then having to do that nonsense. Having those simple obvious steps should be taken care of by the manufacturer. Also, for my 2000, we found bolting the brackets onto the fan + bolting the fastening brackets on to the fan brackets PRE dropping the fan is was a MUST-DO! The instructions to do otherwise actually added a TON of time onto the job (There should be an amendment, or change added to save the consumer at least an hour worth of time).

2. Purchase additional butt connectors, and make sure they are NOT smaller than the ones in the kit. Smaller ones won't do the job correctly.

3. We found the drier hose was resting on one of the brackets after the install. NOT GOOD. The bracket edge is not rounded and over time would undoubtedly over bumps and vibrations etc., would eventually cut into the hose. Getting past the hoses and obstacles in order to loosen the bolt fastening the drier in place to turn it an 1/8" was such an incredible PITA. Of course Ford in their incredible wisdom (wizzdumb?) uses 3 bolts to hold the wiper reservoir in place, because hey...you just never know when yer gonna blow a wiper reservoir out from your hood from too much wiping!?! At any rate, they all needed to come out (another PITA) and the reservoir moved by pulling on it in order to adequately get to the Drier bolt. I'm certain any Joe-Blow mechanic guy at a cheap garage installing this fan would've left the hose where it was (against the bracket). IMO that is a pricey repair waiting to happen, and should/can be avoided.

4. Sounds obvious, but use a very good crimping tool and make sure 100% get that part right. There's lots of crimping to be done and your crimp skills should be on point. Don't settle for, "well, that looks good enough." Settle for, "that's super solid." Cop on if you F**k up and do it over. If one of them come apart when you're in traffic or on the turnpike..... well, 'nuff said!

5. No need to buy a fan puller. Rent one. Make sure it's a decent one, too. The one we got awkward one from Autozone that required 2 people to do the job easily. It would've been a b*tch with this particular tool to do it solo.

6. Buy extra zip ties. Though the 270 comes with some, it's hardly close to being enough. If you wanna make it look nice, add some 3/8s loom to cover the wires up.

7. Buy additional splicing connectors (like the blue ones in the kit). You may need them and you don't wanna be caught w/o them.

8.. Give yourself 4.5 hours to do this job if you've never done it before. That way you can be relaxed and allotting that kind of time could account for surprises, mistakes (not connecting wires correctly, etc.)

9. Flex-Lite should most definitely add and extra 3"s to the wires coming in and out of the fuse box!

Cost:
I did a ton of searching and researching re: this yoke. I was surprised to find loads of sellers really gouging the price (some as high as $600!???!). Also, I hadn't read a really definitive review that made me think, "I'm gonna pull the trigger." It was more like lots of little short reviews that spoke about one or 2 gains, but not lots of details. It left me kind of unsure, because this isn't cheap.

On a lark, I called up Summit Racing. I was just testing the waters and getting a feel for the vibe I got from the salesman. He assured me that Summit stands behind their customer issues. You know...salesman talk! Because after a long convo with this guy I got a good vibe about the whole operation and the fan, I chanced it and I ended up purchasing my fan from Summit Racing. They had the cheapest price and are willing to meet ANY low price on the net. I paid only $427.38 w shipping. I see that today they're blowing them out (pun?) for $405! The salesperson I dealt with was named "Guy" and was very easy to deal with. I didn't want to buy from an eBay seller and I knew Summit has been around for a long time and in spite of some negative reviews I read, I went for it after speaking with Guy. I'm glad I did.

Finally, the immediate differences on this upgrade were defo worth the money. I can imagine the difference one of these could make to a V8, too!!! If you have a V6 with large tires like I do, this upgrade an absolute necessity! DO IT!!!!

I hope this helps and please post your experiences should you decide to go for one of these yokes!

Last edited by streetwisegtr; 04-18-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the same setup in my 2004. From others on the internet the gains for the 5.4 are estimated to be around 7-11 HP. For me going e-fans has provided better AC and you can now stand in the engine compartment to do maintenance.

Old 04-19-2019, 04:57 PM
Do you also have a 4.2?

Old 04-19-2019, 07:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Looks nice!

MeneGene has a 5.4 with a Whipple S/C... which this mod will also work on and is probably recommended for xtra power.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Looks nice!

Thanks. We put MEGA hrs into it!

MeneGene has a 5.4 with a Whipple S/C... which this mod will also work on and is probably recommended for xtra power.
Best of Luck. Summit Racing has simply rock bottom prices. I was surprised at just how low they are + they internet price match, too!

Old 04-21-2019, 02:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have these in my truck and have done a few extra mods because I'm complicated. I hooked up the AC activate, I also used a mustang fan switch on the intake on the neg trigger to give me a fail safe on the temp side. I also put in a manual over ride to turn on the fans and a AC turn off while on the freeway. I used standard switches that light up when used. The AC turn on for the fans is great in town but for hours on the freeway is a waste of wear and tear and power draw that is not needed hence the switch. It makes driving a interactive experience.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by 01 gt f150
I have these in my truck and have done a few extra mods because I'm complicated. I hooked up the AC activate, I also used a mustang fan switch on the intake on the neg trigger to give me a fail safe on the temp side. I also put in a manual over ride to turn on the fans and a AC turn off while on the freeway. I used standard switches that light up when used. The AC turn on for the fans is great in town but for hours on the freeway is a waste of wear and tear and power draw that is not needed hence the switch. It makes driving a interactive experience.
You know I find that when on the freeway, the fans don't turn on. As long as the motor stays below 190. In fact, I can drive to the store and the fans don't turn on at all. In traffic though, of course they do, but never for long and my temp gauge is showing me all is well! :-)

Old 04-24-2019, 12:17 AM

The only time the fans come on is if it hits 190 or the AC is on. Flex a lite's fan controller does not address the issue of
AC running the fans regardless if you are on the freeway or not. I wish they would engineer something like that. 01 Ford trucks
computers did not have a fan control feature. When going down the freeway my water temp is steady at 184 F and every once
in while it goes to 192 then right back down to 184.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:00 PM
Yeah I totally get it. I'm in Miami, so most of the year it's Hot AF! Even so, I couldn't agree with you more!

Old 04-28-2019, 09:36 PM

Yeah, here in the summer is can reach close to 120 F. The lower opening in my front spoiler is like a big mouth bass scooping up air and my radiator is the big severe duty one, not the typical 1 row POS that comes in most of out trucks. Is you're AC connected to the #270 Kit relay?

Old 04-28-2019, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by 01 gt f150
Yeah, here in the summer is can reach close to 120 F. The lower opening in my front spoiler is like a big mouth bass scooping up air and my radiator is the big severe duty one, not the typical 1 row POS that comes in most of out trucks. Is you're AC connected to the #270 Kit relay?
Yeah. It is...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flex-Lite 270 Installed: A thorough E-Fan Review