1997 - 2003 F-150

2002 F150 Steering Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 F150 Steering Problems

So my truck is having problems with the steering. The wheels are not moving at all really when turning the wheel. Right before that though it was moving like an inch than shuttering. I'm wondering if this would be cause from the steering wheel shaft or the gearbox. Has anyone else had problems like this? Could it be a linkage? Thanks

Old 03-07-2019, 06:32 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
The steering wheel is on a splined shaft. Not likely ever a problem.
The shaft goes down through the column into the engine bay. It connects to s flexible joint. The Joint is keyed and lock bolted both ends.
Open the hood and look down the driver side to see this and have some one move the steering wheel. Both the shaft from the inside and the shaft to the steering box must move without an looseness or the flex joint allowing and difference in change of position of both shafts.
The lower shaft goes into the steering box.
Have the wheel moved and see what is gong on below with the steering arm, idler arm and tie rod ends.
It's all common sense.
Good luck.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:39 PM
So the lower stressin shaft was so lose that I could wiggle it almost off the steering gearbox. I'm not sure why the grooves on the bolt are not holding it. I'm hoping it's just the shaft and the teeth on the gearbox are still good and not rounded off.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:09 PM
If steering play was noticed some time ago and left un attended to, this is the result.
Back the bolts out and inspect the threads.
Inspect the threads in the coupler.
If both are good, use some Lock Tite on the bolts and reassemble to reasonable torque values so they don't back off.
Stay a where of steering play in the future and address it as soon as it appears.
Good luck.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
If steering play was noticed some time ago and left un attended to, this is the result.
Back the bolts out and inspect the threads.
Inspect the threads in the coupler.
If both are good, use some Lock Tite on the bolts and reassemble to reasonable torque values so they don't back off.
Stay a where of steering play in the future and address it as soon as it appears.
Good luck.
I've had steering play issues but the mechanic told me it should be fine. I just chalked it up to being an older truck. If the threads on that end in the steering box are stripped can just that be replaced or would I need a whole new box.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:48 PM
There ya go, it would not get any better if left go, as you found out.
Either drill out for the next size (grade 8 bolt) fine thread, tap the holes and /or mig weld the joint or both..
If welding is done only, make sure the welder is an expert because it's your life and that of others on the road if it comes apart.
Once welded, it won't come apart for any other repair without cutting out with a Torch.
Good luck.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 03-07-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:13 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Should be plenty of parts in the salvage yards if needed. Steering boxes don't fail very often.

Quick Reply: 2002 F150 Steering Problems