1997 - 2003 F-150

blowing fuel pump fuse

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blowing fuel pump fuse

... last week it rain a ton here and truck was fine then we went to start it and gages went nuts windows wouldn't work stereo wouldn't work and battery was over charged... unless we were at a stop... the next day battery was dead so my husband disconnected the battery to check alternator and when he reconnected it arched and the cab driver smelled burnt so after research we replaced the GEM module and today every time he tries to start it the fuel pump relay fuse keeps blowing

Old 03-02-2019, 02:15 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
What are you working on? We can't see your truck through the Internet.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:27 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
'sBare with me while I go through some common sense.
1. Re touching the Alternator terminal should have never resulted in a heavy spark.
Should have STOPPED their to see if the Alternator has a faulty Diode stack or faulty Regulator by testing without power on it. That connection point is 'only' for Alternator output. It is not part of a loop. NO SPARK AT THIS POINT should be observed. My bet, the Alternator is faulty..
2. There was no verifiable reason to replace the GEM. It not part of the charging system.
3. If a wire in the harness going back to the fuel tank and pump has shorted to ground under the truck, it can weld relay contacts closed permanently.
If you remove the relay and fuse does not blow, you may consider the possibility is a short to ground.
Upon these items, you have to stop and evaluate each possibility with consideration that maybe more than one problem is present and clear them one
Heavy currents can cause multiple damage if 'forced' to many times.
I hope you consider how I have tried to help you.
At this point it doesn't make any difference what model or engine. The info is the same for all.
Could GEM be faulty? Yes but not at this level of drain unless there is big trouble with a harness.
Good luck..

Old 03-03-2019, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by glc
What are you working on? We can't see your truck through the Internet.
sorry... 2001 ford f150 tryton 5.4l engine

Old 03-03-2019, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
'sBare with me while I go through some common sense.
1. Re touching the Alternator terminal should have never resulted in a heavy spark.
Should have STOPPED their to see if the Alternator has a faulty Diode stack or faulty Regulator by testing without power on it. That connection point is 'only' for Alternator output. It is not part of a loop. NO SPARK AT THIS POINT should be observed. My bet, the Alternator is faulty..
2. There was no verifiable reason to replace the GEM. It not part of the charging system.
3. If a wire in the harness going back to the fuel tank and pump has shorted to ground under the truck, it can weld relay contacts closed permanently.
If you remove the relay and fuse does not blow, you may consider the possibility is a short to ground.
Upon these items, you have to stop and evaluate each possibility with consideration that maybe more than one problem is present and clear them one
Heavy currents can cause multiple damage if 'forced' to many times.
I hope you consider how I have tried to help you.
At this point it doesn't make any difference what model or engine. The info is the same for all.
Could GEM be faulty? Yes but not at this level of drain unless there is big trouble with a harness.
Good luck..
the alternator is fine is been tested... replaced the GEM because it was burnt

Old 03-03-2019, 09:47 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Someone is not reporting accurately and misleading the thread.
I answerd based on what was reported.
A heavy spark cannot occur at the alternator terminal just by removing and re-touching the output charge lead without there being a fault with the alternator. Battery power {does not] go to the rest of the truck by that path.
The GEM has nothing to do with the fuel pump for the cause of the initial problem.
Some body is messing with things to much!
Good luck.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Someone is not reporting accurately and misleading the thread.
I answerd based on what was reported.
A heavy spark cannot occur at the alternator terminal just by removing and re-touching the output charge lead without there being a fault with the alternator. Battery power {does not] go to the rest of the truck by that path.
The GEM has nothing to do with the fuel pump for the cause of the initial problem.
Some body is messing with things to much!
Good luck.
the fuel pump issues started AFTER the ark... there was nothing wrong with the truck before gages started going nuts .. the ask caused the GEM to burn. . found it can be a problem in that model of f150 that is why we replaced it... the fuel pump issues such as blowing fuse started AFTER that

Quick Reply: blowing fuel pump fuse