1997 - 2003 F-150

Suspension swap or body swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 01:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suspension swap or body swap?

I've been considering doing a 7700 swap to my Screw since I don't think they ever made one, but I'm torn. Do I swap in the entire suspension system? (I have front coilover suspension, not sure what to do there, I think all the 7700s have torsion bar) or do I hunt down a decent running 7700 Scab and just swap on the body of my Screw?

I need the crew cab because kids, and we're going to eventually be attaining a farm, I don't see my little 4.6l half ton being able too keep up with demand. I don't want to buy another truck just for farm work either, my old girl is comfy

Old 01-26-2019, 02:55 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is more to a "7700" GVWR truck of the day than just the suspension, but I think those only went to 2003? After that, they upped the GVWR to #8200 and called it the Heavy Duty Payload Package. Still had the 7 lug hubs and went thru 2014. They still make a HDPP F150, but with new aluminum body trucks, the GVWR is lower because of the lighter weight truck, but they are still a rare find..

I think it would not be worth doing that to your existing truck at all.. It'll cost you thousands of dollars, and still just be a #6050 GVWR truck... You could put 8 lug F350 axles on it, but it would still be a #6050 GVWR truck...

You could probably pick up a beater F250/350 with the 5.4 or the 6.8 V10 for less than it would cost you to do a suspension swap on your existing truck and just use it on your farm.. Keep your existing truck to haul the kids and go to town..

But, in the end, you gotta do what you gotta do, so good luck with whatever you decide.

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 01-26-2019 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:08 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
i agree with Mitch

Old 01-26-2019, 08:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MitchF150
There is more to a "7700" GVWR truck of the day than just the suspension, but I think those only went to 2003? After that, they upped the GVWR to #8200 and called it the Heavy Duty Payload Package. Still had the 7 lug hubs and went thru 2014. They still make a HDPP F150, but with new aluminum body trucks, the GVWR is lower because of the lighter weight truck, but they are still a rare find..

I think it would not be worth doing that to your existing truck at all.. It'll cost you thousands of dollars, and still just be a #6050 GVWR truck... You could put 8 lug F350 axles on it, but it would still be a #6050 GVWR truck...

You could probably pick up a beater F250/350 with the 5.4 or the 6.8 V10 for less than it would cost you to do a suspension swap on your existing truck and just use it on your farm.. Keep your existing truck to haul the kids and go to town..

But, in the end, you gotta do what you gotta do, so good luck with whatever you decide.

Mitch
Ok, so the suspension swap is out. Would it be feasible to swap the body and bed over to a 7700 Scab truck frame? I'm pretty sure length is the same between the two

Old 01-26-2019, 02:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dollar wise and time wise.. I wouldn't do it... What's the point? You only want 1 truck and own a farm?

Get an old farm truck and just keep it on the farm.. No need to register it, no need to insure it.. Just keep it running and that's not a big deal. You gonna have tractors and other implements that attach to the tractor that will need maintenance and assume you will have a barn to do all that in..

Just the time and money to find and buy an old "7700" truck is going to be a chore.. Here is a link to the different wheelbase's for Ford trucks/vans and they don't specify the payload on the F150's, but I think the 7700' only came in the 138" or 144" wb lengths? In other words, reg cab long bed or super cab short bed or?? https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-...eelbase-chart/

I know my 13 F150 with 7700 GVWR (MaxTow) is a supercab with the 6.5' bed and has 144" wb.

The only cab swap I would do is if you have a nice 56 Ford F100 and wanted to put it on a newer 5.0 Coyote reg cab short bed frame! Now that would be a fun truck, but not a farm truck... Just not worth the work if it's only going to be a farm truck IMO...

This is only my opinion and I have worked on farms back in the day and if I had a farm today, I'd just get the beater F350 reg cab or supercab with an 8' bed and call it good!

Mitch

Quick Reply: Suspension swap or body swap?