1997 - 2003 F-150

2001 f150 weird noise after turning key to ON

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
I don't have a helper but I went out and opened the hood, turned the key on and after a couple of seconds I did hear a noise that came from the area you are talking about. It's not as loud as your noise and doesn't sound exactly the same but I do have a similar noise. I never noticed it before and it isn't audible from inside the cab.
Thank you for your feedback. So obviously the abs motor gets tested or activated when power is on. Mine sounds louder can only mean bearing or brushes problem inside the motor. It is not weird now for the mileage 389K kms. But at least good to know that noise is not from other mechanic issue. Bottom line just unplug the abs relay or fuse to disable it temporarily when in sudden failure.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:46 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by handyobo
Thank you for your feedback. So obviously the abs motor gets tested or activated when power is on. Mine sounds louder can only mean bearing or brushes problem inside the motor. It is not weird now for the mileage 389K kms. But at least good to know that noise is not from other mechanic issue. Bottom line just unplug the abs relay or fuse to disable it temporarily when in sudden failure.
Just for info, my truck has 152,000 miles on it.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
Just for info, my truck has 152,000 miles on it.
maybe I was wrong. it may not be the abs motor, it could be the abs solenoid which controls valves. the noise and vibration only last for about 1 second, very hard to identify what caused that.

Old 12-22-2020, 01:41 PM
Long shot

Originally Posted by handyobo
maybe I was wrong. it may not be the abs motor, it could be the abs solenoid which controls valves. the noise and vibration only last for about 1 second, very hard to identify what caused that.
You ever figure out that noise? I have the exact same noise. My truck acts like it’s not getting air or gas when I’m going at a constant speed of 45 mph. Wondering if that noise is connected.

Old 12-22-2020, 04:24 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
How does it act as if it's not getting air or gas? Is it kinda shuddering or hesitating? Is it at 45 mph with light pressure on the gas just maintaining speed in overdrive? That's a low grade misfire, spark plugs and/or coils. How many miles on them? Are they Motorcraft plugs? What year and engine?

Old 12-22-2020, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by glc
How does it act as if it's not getting air or gas? Is it kinda shuddering or hesitating? Is it at 45 mph with light pressure on the gas just maintaining speed in overdrive? That's a low grade misfire, spark plugs and/or coils. How many miles on them? Are they Motorcraft plugs? What year and engine?
it shudders. If I give it more gas it just Bogs down. I had plugs and packs replaced in Aug. 2001 F150 Lariat 5.4L 4x4.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:33 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
What brand plugs and coils? How many miles on your fuel filter? Any OBD2 codes?

Old 12-23-2020, 08:37 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Uncutcrayon
You ever figure out that noise? I have the exact same noise. My truck acts like it’s not getting air or gas when I’m going at a constant speed of 45 mph. Wondering if that noise is connected.
No, it isn't related.

The OP was noticing the ABS pump motor self test that is normal.

You are encountering something completely different, probably a misfire, fuel delivery issue, or similar. I'd put my money on a "mild misfire" condition.

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: 2001 f150 weird noise after turning key to ON