1997 - 2003 F-150

New Member - 02 SCrew water leaking into interior

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New Member - 02 SCrew water leaking into interior

Hi F150Online family,

I just joined the forum today but have always looked through this site for tips and tricks since purchasing my truck about 2 months ago. It finally rained here in Northern California and sadly my truck is soaked in some places... I did do my due diligence and searched through the forums via google before making this thread and found one thread out of tons that may relate to my issue. I say "may" only because his issues were kinda all over the place in the sense of where his leaks were manifesting. I will try my best to be clear and concise with my issues.

I got out of the hospital last Friday, and when I got home my wife told me that she went to start the truck and the inside of the front windshield, driver front and rear glass was wet as if someone sprayed water onto all of the aforementioned glass with a hose. When I inspected it this is what I saw:

- Front Windshield (Mainly driver side at very top) very very wet to where you can swipe the water off with your hand and it will cause a huge puddle on the dash.
- Front driver door glass soaked with some condensation
- Rear driver door glass soaked with some condensation
- Front passenger door glass soaked with some condensation
- Rear driver door glass soaked with some condensation
- Both sides rear carpet (at the sill plate) soaked/holding water
- Both sides front doors weatherstripping had water all over the face of the rubber

As a result of this, my poor 2 year old's car seat grew a bunch of mold and had to be tossed....

From my research on this site, I have read that the 3rd brake light gasket might be shot, the rear windshield may need to be removed and resealed along with the beauty cover, and finally that the front windshield may have not been sealed properly around the driver side from factory. Also, both of the front door weatherstripping is loose to where you can easily remove it, the rear doors not so much but also loose.

Here is the thread I had found that I mentioned earlier - https://www.f150online.com/forums/ot...3-f-150-a.html

2002 F150 SuperCrew
4.6L 2WD
Build date - 9/01

Thank you for any assistance F150 Family.

Last edited by KrisR85; 12-05-2018 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you get a leak, you need to dry out the car immediately. If not, you're going to trap lots of moisture which will mold quickly and condensation will form regularly until it does dry. If you have a dry place like a garage, leave the doors open with a fan blowing for a day or two so you have a dry car to work with. After that grab a buddy, hand him a six pack of beer and tell him get in the truck and look for leaks while you spray the car down with a hose. That's what I would do.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:17 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
my neighbor has an 01 screw, he said he had major leaks from his rear window, to the point he basically coated the whole edge with silicone sealant. no leaks since....

Old 12-12-2018, 09:05 AM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Windshield is a big problem. If it leaks down the driver's side corner, there is a computer under it that it destroys and many electrical functions stop working. I had a leak in a rain storm many years ago and the wipers, directional signals and God knows what else went out in my 02 screw. a grand or so later, computer and windshield were replaced. End of problem.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
What I'm missing out of the first post is...…………….. with such a massive leak, where are the signs of this leak when the truck was purchased? It had to show the stains and smell.
Certainly a 17 year old truck would have has water on it some time even if washed with a hose during that amount of time.
There are so many different material used inside the cab that mold will occur.
Even dash and seat coatings from the auto store will go into mold condition under those conditions.
The floor covering material will harbor spores that will permote mold from getting wet to long, after so many years of foot traffic and dirt.
Not that it maters now but these things need to be paid attention to.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: New Member - 02 SCrew water leaking into interior