1997 - 2003 F-150

Oil Pressure Gauge Conversion - Make it Work for Real!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 11:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil Pressure Gauge Conversion - Make it Work for Real!

I've never been a fan of gauges that aren't gauges, like the oil pressure "gauge" in the 10th-Gen F150. If you're like me, are not afraid of tearing into your instrument cluster and getting your hands dirty, and would like to have a REAL oil pressure gauge, read on!

Since February, I've been running a conversion module from Mark Olson at Accutach . This module converts the "dummy" gauge to one that actually functions. I'd intended to do a full install write-up, but the phone with which I took the pictures died, and took with it all the photos. Never fear, however, as the installation guide includes clear instructions with lots of pictures of its own.

The kit uses an Auto Meter 2242 sender (purchased separately) to replace the OEM pressure switch. Retrofitting this sender on a 4WD truck is a bit tricky due to having little room to work, but it *does* fit in there. (Note: Contrary to reports I read, a 45° street fitting is not required.) 2WD drivers should have a much easier time of it. I re-used the factory wire, adding a short length of wire and a lug to facilitate connection to the new sender.

Below is a video of the gauge working. Note: This conversion also RETAINS the low oil pressure idiot light.

I hope some of you find this interesting, and if you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

P.S. Since the link to this install manual seems wonky, I attached it here.

Last edited by OhioLariat; 07-24-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:13 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
For the effort you can have a real gauge that tells the pressure.
Put a tee in the line, put original sensor back in hooked up original, extend from the Tee an 1/8" copper line to a remote electric sensor, connect cab gauge.
Original sensor feeds diagnostic data to the electronic dash from about 99 on.
Both oil and coolant signal are on the same line because one is as important as the other for failure.

Have mine in places some 14 years.

75 psi cold start.
50 psi normal highway speeds.
25 psi hot idle.
My motor has 284000 plus miles and towed over 12000 lbs. gross combined weights.
Real transmission temperature along side the oil pressure as the two most important performance items to know when driving.
Basically one can see a failure coming long before a huge failure occurs.
My gauge can show the difference in pressure between 5w20 and 5w30 weight oil at each of the running conditions listed above.
Just showing how to make better use of the modification.
Good luck.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree an actual aftermarket, graduated and marked gauge would be better, and if I raced a Lightning, or towed every week, I might have gone that route. For everyday driving, though, I think this mod is a good balance of improved visibility into the oiling system operation, ease/effort of install, expense, and aesthetics.

Either solution is certainly better than the "idiot gauge" and light that pretty much just tell you, "Hey, buddy, you just lost oil pressure. Get out your wallet!"

Last edited by OhioLariat; 07-24-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluegrass
For the effort you can have a real gauge that tells the pressure.
Put a tee in the line, put original sensor back in hooked up original, extend from the Tee an 1/8" copper line to a remote electric sensor, connect cab gauge.
Original sensor feeds diagnostic data to the electronic dash from about 99 on.
Both oil and coolant signal are on the same line because one is as important as the other for failure.

Have mine in places some 14 years.

75 psi cold start.
50 psi normal highway speeds.
25 psi hot idle.
My motor has 284000 plus miles and towed over 12000 lbs. gross combined weights.
Real transmission temperature along side the oil pressure as the two most important performance items to know when driving.
Basically one can see a failure coming long before a huge failure occurs.
My gauge can show the difference in pressure between 5w20 and 5w30 weight oil at each of the running conditions listed above.
Just showing how to make better use of the modification.
Good luck.
+1 on this method

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Gauge Conversion - Make it Work for Real!