1997 - 2003 F-150

Rust or Undercoating

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust or Undercoating

I just recently purchased my 2002 F150 FX4 5.4L 4x4 Supercab and the previous owners were from the mountains of NC and so there is some signs of wear from the conditions since they use a lot more ice melt up that way in our state for winter. I went under my truck as I was getting ready to add some step bars and wanted to double check the specific areas I will be attaching the steps to. I had looked at it when going through my pre purchase and I probably should have spent a little more time on it but after being more up close and personal I am having a hard time telling if it is really rusted more than I thought or if it is just an undercoating that had been used that is coming off like I originally thought. What would be the best way to check and see the difference? Also does anyone have a diagram or labeled photo of all the main areas to check for rust besides the rocker panels underneath the truck? I'm only looking to get about 5 years out of this truck hopefully before getting a newer one for my everyday driving needs. Thanks for any imput, I will try to add photos to help visualize what I am talking about this evening.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DoctorCueNC
I just recently purchased my 2002 F150 FX4 5.4L 4x4 Supercab and the previous owners were from the mountains of NC and so there is some signs of wear from the conditions since they use a lot more ice melt up that way in our state for winter. I went under my truck as I was getting ready to add some step bars and wanted to double check the specific areas I will be attaching the steps to. I had looked at it when going through my pre purchase and I probably should have spent a little more time on it but after being more up close and personal I am having a hard time telling if it is really rusted more than I thought or if it is just an undercoating that had been used that is coming off like I originally thought. What would be the best way to check and see the difference? Also does anyone have a diagram or labeled photo of all the main areas to check for rust besides the rocker panels underneath the truck? I'm only looking to get about 5 years out of this truck hopefully before getting a newer one for my everyday driving needs. Thanks for any imput, I will try to add photos to help visualize what I am talking about this evening.
Typically in the Midwest salt belt....examine the area where the front core support attaches to the frame, ( this would be in front of the front wheels). Also where the rear leaf springs attach to the frame.

There is a recall for this, Check the straps that hold the fuel tank to the frame & the cruise control. This, most likely, should have been taken care of already. Probably should ask the former owner if hey had been addressed.??

On the body, Look the lower door seams over well, there are drain holes at the bottom of the inner door they should be open & not plugged up. Also check the lower cab corners and the front of the lower bed corners, as well as, the rear wheel wells.

Don't be afraid to take a small screw driver and try to pick at areas of concern. If you get flakes of rust to pick off with little effort, ( by flakes I mean like the size of Wheaties cereal). You might want to have a body shop look at it to help give a determination as to the damage.

If you screw driver is digs into something softer and gum / rubber like that would most likely be a under coating of some kind and probably is fine. Unless the undercoating/ paint like substance looks like is very fresh and clean. Then the former owner may have just covered up some problem areas.

You being more in the south, I kinda doubt that rust should be a major issue , unless the truck former owner/s were from the Midwest and parts north. Unless it was down to the coast line driving the beach line surf.

Quick Reply: Rust or Undercoating