1997 - 2003 F-150

Help prolong the life of my 02 5.4 fx4

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 11:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help prolong the life of my 02 5.4 fx4

As much as I'd love to dump a ton of money on a new truck it's just not feasible right now so I need some help in getting my 5.4 to run great for at least another 3 years. Lately though, my mpg has dropped to around 9-10mpg city with highway driving for at least half that tank. The only work I've done in the past year is I had to replace my intake manifold and I went with the Dorman 615-188 intake manifold. I also swapped out my COPs with some ECCPPs off amazon as I had 3 go bad on a trip to Branson as well as dropped new plugs in. I know the COPs cheapies but it's what I can afford. Also changed fuel filter.

what I've thought about doing to get this puppy running smooth and back to 14mpg again:

replacing injectors,
o2 sensors (250k miles with original sensors),
new shocks / struts / springs (incl. leaf? (trying to get a smoother ride),
catalytic converters (they don't smell and I'm not running hot as far as I can tell but at 250k miles not sure if they are hindering my mpg)

I'm also looking to replace the seats. Finding a set for 97-03 is near impossible. What options do I have? Current cloth seats are in horrible shape.

Any other mods / tips / tricks / advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 04-13-2018, 12:51 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Make sure you put MOTORCRAFT plugs in it, and use only Motorcraft, Delphi, or Denso cops.

Don't bother replacing the injectors, just throw some Techron in the gas every oil change.

Replace the front O2 sensors, don't bother with the rears.

Leave the cats alone unless they are plugged or you get a CEL with efficiency codes.

Use fuel with the least amount of ethanol you can get.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
That 02 with the 5.4l will run for a long time. Just do what glc said.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:09 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
See rockauto for the cops.
Your truck doesn't have struts. It has torsion bars in the front and leafs in the rear. Just replace the shocks if you want to. Unless the suspension is collapsing, I woudn't think the bars or leafs need replacement.
You might want to get a muffler shop to check the cats for back pressure. It's a simple procedure that shouldn't cost that much. I think I paid Midas about $35 years ago to check a car.

Quick Reply: Help prolong the life of my 02 5.4 fx4