1997 - 2003 F-150

How to adjust timing

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 02:58 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Then you need to pull the front cover off and see what's going on. You probably do need a complete timing set. Sprockets, chains, tensioners, guides.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...iming+set,5756

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...r-engines.html

Old 04-20-2018, 03:14 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Sky, how can you come to any conclusion before you find the cause to prove it.
Spark knock involves cylinder pressures developed from ignition timing..
Matter of fact, in order of severity, you can have Ping, spark knock then detonation.
They are all related but from a combination of different causes. Which one do you think you have? I does make a difference on what you do to correct it.
Cam valve train has no control of ignition in this overhead cam engine as it does not drive a distributor like in a push rod engine since there is no distributor.
The knock you hear could very well be the cam chains tensioners guides are worn allowing the chains to slap the front case cover. That guide material likely lays in the oil pan, now.
Take the time to listen to where the noise is coming from.
If you hear it at idle it's not spark knock in any form.
Yes if one chain has jumped a tooth, the motor won't run right. It's been reported before.
Be a little scientific and prove cause and effect instead of guessing.
Good luck.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm confused.

You have more troubles with your truck in a weekend than I have had in 10 years. You have a thread running where your plan is to replace the engine. Why are you fixing crap wrong with this engine if you are going to replace it? You keep throwing wheel barrels full of cash at a truck you just bought, makes me wonder what you saw in it that made you want to buy it in the first place.

Old 04-24-2018, 04:49 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
The problem is 'he' more than the truck, at this point.
Mine is 16 years old. Motor is still perfect and runs like a champ at 280,500 miles and expect it to run well beyond 300,000 miles.
Good luck.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:58 PM
Well maybe instead of judging, yall could just help, the motor i bought was locked up so im just going to repair the existing one and im using it as a learning experience, guess theres something wrong with fixing whats mine

Old 04-25-2018, 01:42 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well Sky... Looking for a solution to your specific motor problems over the internet is like trying to do heart bypass surgery over the phone...

Sounds like your issue is a LOT more than can be diagnosed over this form of communication..

The only "judging" that's going on is that you want a free fix with a few words and that's it..

Sorry.. I know everything on the internet is true and all, but there are times when it can't fix the world... Or your engine..

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 04-25-2018, 06:39 AM
Thank you, yeah it has quite a few problems but i plan to fix em all, i want to make this truck mine lol, im ginna fix it and run it till it throws a rod, too expensive to drop a motor un there right now

Old 04-25-2018, 10:34 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Okay, to see whether your engine is even worth fixing, do a compression and leakdown test. If the results aren't good, start looking for a good engine again.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:23 PM
Compressions good, oil pressures good and everything, im basically using it as a learning experience at this point, but i post on the forums cause i try to get help with the problems i do have cause thats what the forums are for but everyone wants to criticize or something instead of helping, yes i know it has problems, thats why im trying to fix

Old 05-07-2018, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Skylardog123
Compressions good, oil pressures good and everything, im basically using it as a learning experience at this point, but i post on the forums cause i try to get help with the problems i do have cause thats what the forums are for but everyone wants to criticize or something instead of helping, yes i know it has problems, thats why im trying to fix

It's highly unlikely that your problem is related to the timing chain if the compression is good. The compression is a function of the valves closing correctly, and they close correctly if the timing chain has not jumped the track or skipped a tooth on the sprocket. I can tell by the questions you ask that you REALLY need to have somebody on site with you to assist you in your learning curve. You are asking things, then arriving at your own answers that don't even begin to address the question you asked. Timing is not adjustable. Period. You can replace the timing chain and the various sprockets if they are worn out, but this is not an "adjustment" procedure. When replacing the chain and sprockets, you must position the engine with the #1 piston at TDC, not a few degrees before or after. Then you rotate the cams so that the markings cast into the sprockets all line up and include the centerlines of the camshafts. Now you can put the chain on. Making absolute certainty that the marks do not move. None of this is a timing adjustment, it is replacement of badly worn parts. There is no subjective decision making that you need to do, either the timing chain and sprockets are worn out, or they are not. There is no middle ground. If you decide that it "looks a bit worn on this spot," then it's not worn enough to be the problem you are trying to solve. If it is causing the problem you want to solve, there will be no question that it is worn out beyond its useful service life.

Quick Reply: How to adjust timing