1997 - 2003 F-150

97 f150 no start after steering column changed

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 04:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 f150 no start after steering column changed

my 97 f150 wont start after someone tried to break the column to steal the truck i replaced it with a column out of another 97 but it will not start it has the same lock cylinder that was in old column and it doesn't have a chipped key it will crank but not getting a ground to fuel injectors it will run if i spray starting fluid or pour gas into intake it was built in 03/97 doesn't have the theft light like my 08 does any thoughts on this?

Old 03-30-2018, 04:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I would start with checking all of the wiring on the truck that pertains to the ignition system.

There was a case on here where someone joy rided a truck, and cut the microphone and gps out. So who knows.... people are crazy...

Old 03-30-2018, 05:05 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
If it attempts to run with spray into the intake, the fuel pump is not supplying gas to the fuel rails.
This means the PCM is powered up, ignition is powered and injectors have to be powered because they get power from the same source as the ignition.
Put a pressure gauge on the test port, key on several times, and see what fuel pressure reads.
It should be around 35 psi +/-.
Open fuse box in engine bay and be sure all fuses are seated.
Your work may have cause this issue.
Good luck.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the replys i am going to test the fuel pump pressure tomorrow morning i can hear it when i turn the key on but im not sure on the pressure but thats what i was planning to try next i will let you know if that was the problem

Old 03-31-2018, 03:44 PM
I would guess that the injectors are grounded all or the time, and they are not grounded due to anything that has to do with the ignition switch. That's my guess and I'm sticking to it.

The ignition switch will turn the ECU on, and of course lots of other stuff too. You are going to need a schematic to find out what happens when the key is moved to the various positions. Your main concerns are the ON/RUN positions and the START position. You have four key positions, OFF, ACC, ON, and START. ACC runs the radio and items that you might want to have on while the truck is parked. OFF locks the steering, ON is the position that the key bounces back to after starting the truck, and START is the postiion that makes the engine turn on.

If the shift linkage was an issue, the truck might not know that it is in P or N, but if in this instance it would not do anything when you set the key to START. You report that the engine cranks, so the transmission is happy with the notion that the gear shift lever is in P or N, or that the Clutch Pedal is depressed if the truck has one. The point of the Neutral Safety Switch or Clutch Safety Switch is to keep the truck from lurching forward if the key gets turned to START by a child, for instance. If the vehicle is not in P or N, or the clutch pedal depressed, then the starter will not be engaged and the vehicle will not lurch. You report that the starter is functioning so the safety switch can be ruled out.

I have replaced an ignition switch once upon a time in a '94 Bronco. I might be possible that the steering column that you installed could have a different ignition switch that does not provide a signal that your truck is looking for. The key (lockset) pulls or pushes linkage that moves the ignition switch to the proper location depending upon the action you want to have taking place. Unless you pulled the old ignition switch from the first steering column and moved it to the new column, then this is something you need to consider. Typically, the steering column will be pulled from a junkyard dog in its entirety and you do not move stuff around from one to the other. But, this could give you trouble if there is a mismatch.

Again, you need a schematic to see where to go next. Be sure you did not happen to blow a fuse to the ECU or any of the engine control circuits. Some circuits are ground-switched, but it is far more likely that the ground will come from mounting something to the engine or chassis. Fuel injectors and coils will typically be grounded through wiring, but the ground does not usually get switched on and off, it will come from a bus-bar somewhere that is mounted to the chassis along with a host of other grounds. The ground path almost never goes through the ignition switch, but a switched ground is also not unheard of on automotive applications.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:07 PM
I would guess that the injectors are grounded all or the time, and they are not grounded due to anything that has to do with the ignition switch. That's my guess and I'm sticking to it.

The ignition switch will turn the ECU on, and of course lots of other stuff too. You are going to need a schematic to find out what happens when the key is moved to the various positions. Your main concerns are the ON/RUN positions and the START position. You have four key positions, OFF, ACC, ON, and START. ACC runs the radio and items that you might want to have on while the truck is parked. OFF locks the steering, ON is the position that the key bounces back to after starting the truck, and START is the postiion that makes the engine turn on.

If the shift linkage was an issue, the truck might not know that it is in P or N, but if in this instance it would not do anything when you set the key to START. You report that the engine cranks, so the transmission is happy with the notion that the gear shift lever is in P or N, or that the Clutch Pedal is depressed if the truck has one. The point of the Neutral Safety Switch or Clutch Safety Switch is to keep the truck from lurching forward if the key gets turned to START by a child, for instance. If the vehicle is not in P or N, or the clutch pedal depressed, then the starter will not be engaged and the vehicle will not lurch. You report that the starter is functioning so the safety switch can be ruled out.

I have replaced an ignition switch once upon a time in a '94 Bronco. I might be possible that the steering column that you installed could have a different ignition switch that does not provide a signal that your truck is looking for. The key (lockset) pulls or pushes linkage that moves the ignition switch to the proper location depending upon the action you want to have taking place. Unless you pulled the old ignition switch from the first steering column and moved it to the new column, then this is something you need to consider. Typically, the steering column will be pulled from a junkyard dog in its entirety and you do not move stuff around from one to the other. But, this could give you trouble if there is a mismatch.

Again, you need a schematic to see where to go next. Be sure you did not happen to blow a fuse to the ECU or any of the engine control circuits. Some circuits are ground-switched, but it is far more likely that the ground will come from mounting something to the engine or chassis. Fuel injectors and coils will typically be grounded through wiring, but the ground does not usually get switched on and off, it will come from a bus-bar somewhere that is mounted to the chassis along with a host of other grounds. The ground path almost never goes through the ignition switch, but a switched ground is also not unheard of on automotive applications.

Quick Reply: 97 f150 no start after steering column changed