1997 - 2003 F-150

2001 F150 supercrew 5.4 overheat

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 F150 supercrew 5.4 overheat

This is a new (reman) engine. About a year or so old. Doesn’t get a lot of miles. When breaking in the engine I had and overheat issue at varying speeds off and on for about a month. Replaced radiator with heavy duty and thermostat 195. Seemed to fix problem. So now recently about a year later while towing my small travel trailer up a grade at about 3000 to 3500 rpm temperature gauge shot up quickly. (I have made this trip before with no issues). So I managed to slow rpm’s and still pull hill albeit slowly, cranked on the inside heater full blast it dropped back to normal in short amount of time. Had same issue on return home trip. This time I pulled over. Opened the hood, waited about maybe 10 mins, restarted engine and it immediately cooled back down. During this time I never had any other symptoms of actual overheat. No lack of power, no stuttering or pinging etc. I checked for trouble codes and got nothing. Also no check engine light. So as a prevent I plan to go ahead and change the thermostat (in case it’s sticking), temp sensor sending unit (in case it’s faulty) and lower radiator hose (in case it’s collapsing at higher rpm). Inexpensive fix. So I am actually wondering if I actually have an overheat problem. I plan another trip probably around New Years. I will post results after that trip. Oh and I also replaced the clutch fan with electric. Just want to see what the community thinks. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:37 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Get an infrared thermometer and take the temp at the thermostat housing when it's showing overheat. Compare that to a normal reading.

Amazon Amazon

Old 11-29-2017, 06:16 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Did you replace the water pump with the reman engine?

Old 11-30-2017, 11:59 AM
Great idea using the infra red. I have one so just need to carry it with me.

I don't recall changing water pump. But I thought about doing so when I do the other items. Guess I might as well since I am already going to be in there.

Thanks for the ideas. I will post results after my next trip.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:50 PM
So I replaced the items I had mentioned doing. Haven't towed yet but I can tell you (seat of the pants) there is a difference in the cooling. Appears to much more stable. Time will tell.
In my search for the Coolant Temperature sending unit I was unable to locate it. It was driving me crazy. All I could find was the Cylinder Head Temperature sending unit. So in reading my repair manual it stated that engines from 2005 forward no longer have the coolant temperature sending and only have the Cylinder Head sending unit.
My question: is the a way to tell what year my engine is?

Old 12-04-2017, 03:45 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
You do not have a coolant temp sender - the computer uses the head temperature and translates it.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:17 PM
Thanks