1997 - 2003 F-150

2WD broken front shock tower / mount

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2WD broken front shock tower / mount

My son's 1997 2WD right front shock tower is rusted and broken off. Wondering what our options are?...

Old 08-13-2017, 12:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MASSMINI
My son's 1997 2WD right front shock tower is rusted and broken off. Wondering what our options are?...
Stock or lifted?

Old 08-13-2017, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Shane-o-mac
Stock or lifted?
Stock

Old 08-13-2017, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by MASSMINI
Stock
Aftermarket suspension parts are easy to come by and usually pretty cheap. Since it's all bone stock.... I would personally clean it up myself and get surgical with a buzz box arc welder. I get that it's for your son though and safety is number one! May be time to get to the junk yard and pull some parts. You could get lucky on a donor vehicle! Anyhow, I have seen a shock tower completely rusted off and broken! And I have see em' pretty bad. The coastline where I live eats vehicle under carriages alive. I would like to see some pics in detail to possibly be of more assistance. Beneficial for other members to see as well. You'll get more responses that way. Not a fun problem. But, there's always a fix!

Old 08-13-2017, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Shane-o-mac
Aftermarket suspension parts are easy to come by and usually pretty cheap. Since it's all bone stock.... I would personally clean it up myself and get surgical with a buzz box arc welder. I get that it's for your son though and safety is number one! May be time to get to the junk yard and pull some parts. You could get lucky on a donor vehicle! Anyhow, I have seen a shock tower completely rusted off and broken! And I have see em' pretty bad. The coastline where I live eats vehicle under carriages alive. I would like to see some pics in detail to possibly be of more assistance. Beneficial for other members to see as well. You'll get more responses that way. Not a fun problem. But, there's always a fix!
My son is hard to pin down to get a pic. But here's a picture I found in a DIY on changing the shocks. The red line is where the mount is broken.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:53 AM
It's really important to see the actual condition of the tower. I can see clearly where the tower broke though. If there is no other serious rust Carnage or major pitting I would recommend arc welding that s.o.b. after a thorough cleanup. Again, as stated before the actual pics are necessary to assess overall condition. And also, your son's safety is number 1. Hit up a couple junkyards. Some, keep parts inventories, and others keep partial vehicle application inventory. Anyhow, that is probably your best bet.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:04 PM
OP here... Did finally get the shock tower welded. Here's a pic.

Last edited by MASSMINI; 11-03-2017 at 05:07 PM.