1997 - 2003 F-150

Help needed with electrical issue Please`

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help needed with electrical issue Please`

My son's 01 has no rear lights eye level doesn't work either but it may just be a bulb have not gotten that far yet. I did repair the multi-function switch wiring still no dice. any ideas before we take it to the shop? He doesn't have the funds for that neither does dad TIA

Mark

Old 05-24-2017, 08:02 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
No brake lights? No tail lights? No backup lights? Be a little more descriptive. You are probably going to need a wiring diagram to troubleshoot it. I assume you have checked fuses?

Old 05-25-2017, 07:18 AM
It has no brake, turn, running. Didn't check to see reverse, and need to see if eye level light works. I hate wiring/electrical issues!

Old 05-25-2017, 11:24 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
If it has ABSOLUTELY no lights of ANY type at the rear of the truck, either there's an open ground or one of the connectors in the harness that runs from the front to the rear is disconnected or the harness has been damaged, as in cut or ripped out.

Otherwise, it would require MULTIPLE simultaneous failures of SEVERAL circuits to duplicate the symptom. Not impossible, but, if the failure is known to have occurred at the same time, look for a single point of failure first.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:43 PM
Dallas

My opinion would be to print out the wiring diagram.then i would look for the headlight switch 5v lead to computer jump that to see if the lights come on.you are basically fooling the cputer to directly turn the lights on.the headlight switch is just the sentry in the middle.if lights come on after jumping the 5v signal wire to computer.(WARNING if you jump the wrong wires you WILL FRY your computer.gl.)Replace headlight switch(usually on the column with turn signals)

Old 05-26-2017, 07:53 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas Kendrick
My opinion would be to print out the wiring diagram.then i would look for the headlight switch 5v lead to computer jump that to see if the lights come on.you are basically fooling the cputer to directly turn the lights on.the headlight switch is just the sentry in the middle.if lights come on after jumping the 5v signal wire to computer.(WARNING if you jump the wrong wires you WILL FRY your computer.gl.)Replace headlight switch(usually on the column with turn signals)
You are mistaking this truck (an 01) for something much newer (as well as being pretty off base on that, too)