1997 - 2003 F-150

5.4 Engine squeal under load

Old 07-05-2019, 09:33 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Belt chirp:
The belt has to accelerate and decelerate the AC compressor, power steering pump, Alternator, water pump and fan clutch.
These items build inertia in either direction the motor has to go.
A belt that slips will chirp trying to hold all these item in traction on it as the speed changes rapidly.
Put a good quality belt on and pay attention to the Tensioner tension and the various pullies' grooves for wear and being polished from the slipping.
Also wide open acceleration and transmission shifting can cause belt chirp for all the same reasons.
Good luck.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Bluegrass

Originally Posted by Bluegrass
Belt chirp:
The belt has to accelerate and decelerate the AC compressor, power steering pump, Alternator, water pump and fan clutch.
These items build inertia in either direction the motor has to go.
A belt that slips will chirp trying to hold all these item in traction on it as the speed changes rapidly.
Put a good quality belt on and pay attention to the Tensioner tension and the various pullies' grooves for wear and being polished from the slipping.
Also wide open acceleration and transmission shifting can cause belt chirp for all the same reasons.
Good luck.
Thanks for the info Blue grass
But as was suggested to me earlier to remove the belt and run it, if it stops it's the belt, so I did just that and squeal was still there, so I'm guessing it's not the belt

Old 08-27-2019, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironman1960
Thanks for the info Blue grass
But as was suggested to me earlier to remove the belt and run it, if it stops it's the belt, so I did just that and squeal was still there, so I'm guessing it's not the belt
Well turned out to be caused by two things
1st one cost $3500.00 to have another engine installed although I could have probably got away with a new head and cam but due to the high mileage 224.000 miles decided to go ahead and have another engine installed cheaper if you all just change your oil every 5000 miles
2nd cause was the catalytic converter was plugged not allowing the EGR valve to recirc emission gases and was causeing my truck to throw P0-171, and 174 codes so if you start getting these codes best get it checked out

Search this Thread