1997 - 2003 F-150

2003 XLT FX4 Super Crew Height question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 01:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 XLT FX4 Super Crew Height question?

I just recently (about 3 weeks ago) purchased a 2003 XLT FX4 Super Crew Cab with 17" wheels. It sits just a tad tall for me however. It currently have factory nerf bars but even with them I struggle at times to get up in it as I have bad knees, back and a hip. Currently I have to keep a foot stool in the back seat to help aid me getting in at times. I'd like to fine a more permanent solution such as adding a 2nd step on both sides, a new step that sits closer to the ground than the factory nerf bars, or to lower the truck an inch or two without costing me an arm and a leg as I'm low income on disability. Any solutions of what I could do. No the truck is not used in any off road activities and will not be.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerlbf406
I just recently (about 3 weeks ago) purchased a 2003 XLT FX4 Super Crew Cab with 17" wheels. It sits just a tad tall for me however. It currently have factory nerf bars but even with them I struggle at times to get up in it as I have bad knees, back and a hip. Currently I have to keep a foot stool in the back seat to help aid me getting in at times. I'd like to fine a more permanent solution such as adding a 2nd step on both sides, a new step that sits closer to the ground than the factory nerf bars, or to lower the truck an inch or two without costing me an arm and a leg as I'm low income on disability. Any solutions of what I could do. No the truck is not used in any off road activities and will not be.
Short answer is yes this is correctable. I understand about bad knees. I just had mine replaced & yep it can be a struggle at times. My dad who just turned 85 really struggles and he is pretty short.

There are nerf bars or running boards available that have a bigger drop. I would suggest calling around and asking which offer a bigger drop. This place has a lot of different brands >>> https://runningboardwarehouse.com/?u...20Bars%20Terms

As for the suspension; there should be about a 2" block under the leaf spring pac on the rear that could be removed. BUT doing so for sure will require new U bolts to resecure the rear axle and maybe different shocks....maybe even springs.? IDK For the front...there is a torsion bar that can adjust the front ride height. Here again there are limitations as to how much this can help without compromising ride quality or other suspension components. Also for the front there is a drop spindle suspension kits that can be swapped in, but that really gets into more serious monetary donation to do so .

I would encourage you to talk to a reputable suspension shop near you and discuss what would be best to fit your needs.

Last edited by enriched; 03-10-2017 at 04:03 PM. Reason: spel'n