1997 - 2003 F-150

Having Timing Cover Issues on my 98 f150 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 08:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having Timing Cover Issues on my 98 f150 4.6

Doing some head work got everything replaced and lined up.I then started to put timing cover back on going by bolt diagram

I then started to torque bolts down didn't even get the first bolt tightened and I heard a loud pop and noticed around crank opening in cover it had cracked not sure what made it do it but I dont want to crack another one.Any help would be awesome.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:19 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
You just committed a basic mistake.
Make sure it's seated against the block all the way around before tightening any bolts.
If it does not find out why.
What else would you do?
Good luck.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After checking timing components all were good.When i ordered kit the new crank gear was only thing different it was both gears that didn't come apart and it was a little thicker.Unlike the factory one which came apart.Sry I did snug cover to block thought I put that in there

You can see crack here a little better.Can this be welded or repaired .Ordered new cover already just curious

Old 08-11-2016, 12:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I would look very carefully at the timing chains, guides and gears. That cover was NOT seated against the block when you tightened. That's the only way you could have cracked it.

Yes, you could drill the end of the crack and TIG the cover you wanted. You would have to file down the bottom of the weld bead as it's a gasket surface.

Quick Reply: Having Timing Cover Issues on my 98 f150 4.6