1997 - 2003 F-150

Just going and going and going

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just keeps going and going and going

I own a 2003 F150 4x4 extended cab 8' bed 4.6L V8 with auto transmission. This truck has 293,000 miles on it. If you counted all the hours it sits idling for either heat or a/c the odometer would probably read closer to 410,000. She runs like she brand new. It starts up every time I turn the key (which is a lot). The engine and transmission are original. I'm a maintenance freak. My truck gets what it needs when it needs it. The oil is changed every 4500 miles. I use regular 10w30 most of the year. I don't believe in synthetic oils. The last time the transmission was flushed was at 175,000 miles. My mechanic suggests not flushing it at this point, "It could do more harm than good". Inside and out this truck still looks and rides great. I use this truck all day. I don't drive hard in first gear, no fast hard peddle to the metal stunts. I start pushing in 2nd gear. It gets used around town, city, heavy traffic and open highway at speeds up to 80 mph for hours at a time. I live on Long Island, NY so I drive in all types of weather conditions. And even with all this mileage I still get 10 to 12 mph around town and up to 15 mph open highway. At 265,000 miles the transmission coded and was telling me I was in for some expensive work. Turned out the sensor was faulty and was replaced for $200. She does creak a little, but that's expected after almost 14 years. I hope to drive this truck to 400,000 miles and beyond. And I believe I can. This truck was most likely not a Monday or Friday build. I'm a Ford fan! I Love, Love, Love my truck. My previous F150 a 1993 same body style same engine and drivetrain also was high mileage, but the odometer stopped working at 185,000 miles so I don't have an exact mileage number on that truck. But it also had no major mechanical issues. Ford Rules!

Last edited by Kevin Paull; 06-04-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:22 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Sounds great! Congratulations! But there is one error in your statement. The 93 truck didn't have a 4.6 triton, maybe a 5.0 push rod engine.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:05 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Great story! Good to hear positive reports. You take good care of your trucks and they take care of you.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Always great to about hear a high-mileage survivor!

After sounding a bit like a diesel at idle for the last 50K miles, my '99 decided to toss a rod at 270K at the end of April this year. I picked up an '03 with 160K, but it went back to the dealer on a flatbed 48 hours later as it had a bad head gasket. The truck had spit coolant out of the overflow bottle on the test drive, but we thought it was just a bad cap. Nope. They're (still) in the process of replacing both head gaskets, timing chains, timing cover, intake (just the upper, I believe), and all the other associated/required gaskets, seals, etc. I should have it back next week, and will do a trans flush and change all the driveline fluids. After all this I look forward to surpassing your number!

Andy

Old 06-05-2016, 11:48 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by OhioLariat
Always great to about hear a high-mileage survivor!

After sounding a bit like a diesel at idle for the last 50K miles, my '99 decided to toss a rod at 270K at the end of April this year. I picked up an '03 with 160K, but it went back to the dealer on a flatbed 48 hours later as it had a bad head gasket. The truck had spit coolant out of the overflow bottle on the test drive, but we thought it was just a bad cap. Nope. They're (still) in the process of replacing both head gaskets, timing chains, timing cover, intake (just the upper, I believe), and all the other associated/required gaskets, seals, etc. I should have it back next week, and will do a trans flush and change all the driveline fluids. After all this I look forward to surpassing your number!

Andy
I would have asked for a refund. I believe with today's consumer protection laws, you have 3 days to change you mind about a major purchase.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
I would have asked for a refund. I believe with today's consumer protection laws, you have 3 days to change you mind about a major purchase.
If I'd bought it from Jim Bob's Jalopies, I probably would have, but this is a major dealer. They stepped up immediately, and are doing everything necessary to make it 100%. I'm also driving their 2016 Malibu until it's done. The truck us super clean, and I paid a fair price. I think it would be hard to find another deal like this, especially with all this work done now.

Andy

Old 06-05-2016, 09:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by OhioLariat
If I'd bought it from Jim Bob's Jalopies, I probably would have, but this is a major dealer. They stepped up immediately, and are doing everything necessary to make it 100%. I'm also driving their 2016 Malibu until it's done. The truck us super clean, and I paid a fair price. I think it would be hard to find another deal like this, especially with all this work done now.

Andy
I agree. It should last many more miles now that the top end is all new.

Quick Reply: Just going and going and going