1997 - 2003 F-150

1999 5.4L V8 "Heated" PCV Hose Assembly w/ 3/4" grommet

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 5.4L V8 "Heated" PCV Hose Assembly w/ 3/4" grommet

Ok confession. I don't have an F-150. But I do have an E-150. For whatever reason there are no forums dedicated to E-150s so I'm here because what the heck you guys seem like you know what you're talking about and 9/10 times I'm referencing an F-150 repair protocol anyway so they're obviously similar.

Ok so here goes...

I have a 5.4L V8 Triton engine from 1999. The intake manifold has a 3/4" port on the back for the PCV. Ford dealer says that if there's a 3/4" port on the intake then I must need a heated PCV.

Previous owner hacked the old PCV assy to pieces and frankensteind it together with electrical tape in a point A (intake manifold port) to point B (PCV valve in the valve cover) configuration. No point C... Without a reference I'm not really sure where the heck that other hose is supposed to go.

I have some rough pixelated diagrams some guy hooked me up with on reddit but I'm wondering if anyone here can just tell me where to stick it?

Last edited by DutchDubs; 03-29-2016 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:06 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
http://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.f150...d583b35358.jpg

I don't know if that helps. I took this from member jbrew's albums, He is an excellent source of information....but he doesn't come around anymore.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:14 AM
Originally Posted by jgger
http://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.f150...d583b35358.jpg

I don't know if that helps. I took this from member jbrew's albums, He is an excellent source of information....but he doesn't come around anymore.
Thanks for the reply. I've come across this picture multiple times in google image searches and forum crawls. The assy shown here is indeed similar if not exactly the same as the one Ford told me I needed. The problem with this picture (if I'm looking at it correctly) the intake & throttle body etc are not installed so it doesn't really help me figure out where the line goes. The part that's circled goes on the back of the intake manifold below the IAC but that other hose is the one that's confusing me.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:42 AM
Here's a photo I found via f140online actually in this thread posted by Toyz that shows off where this other line is supposed to go.

The throttle body on the left looks more like mine with the three vacuum lines coming out of it for the 'vacuum source' and the one on the right has that 'other' PCV line going into the same place? So I'm kind of confused overall.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:35 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Using the above picture for reference. The left hand throttle body with the 3 vacuum lines shows a green circle and a note that it is blocked off. That line should go to the driver side valve cover using assy 6758, from 1st picture. The other nipple above it and parallel to it should go the the brake booster. The big nipple behind the elbow the ¾ inch one goes to the PCV valve on the passenger side valve cover. If you bought the heated PCV valve and hose assy install it and just plug the end that goes into the side of the elbow.

Note: The brake booster and crank vent hose can use either nipple.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
Using the above picture for reference. The left hand throttle body with the 3 vacuum lines shows a green circle and a note that it is blocked off. That line should go to the driver side valve cover using assy 6758, from 1st picture. The other nipple above it and parallel to it should go the the brake booster. The big nipple behind the elbow the ¾ inch one goes to the PCV valve on the passenger side valve cover. If you bought the heated PCV valve and hose assy install it and just plug the end that goes into the side of the elbow.

Note: The brake booster and crank vent hose can use either nipple.
My brake booster is actually hooked up into the port directly above those vacuum lines. The only other ports are for the IAC and the vapor regulator (which goes under the throttle not on top like the ones in that pic).The crankcase breather is going straight into the air cleaner assembly right before the throttle body. I know my intake is supposed to have the 3/4" port on the back but maybe a previous owner installed a different throttle body or it's stock and Ford just stopped making that particular hose? Still pretty confused as to what's going on. But to be clear you are saying just to plug up that extra hose and zip tie it or something to that effect?

Here's a pic of my TB I took it off today to get a closer look...

Old 03-30-2016, 11:45 PM
JMC

Keep the vacuum and brake booster where they are and use the vapor regulator for the PCV valve. In this last picture you do not have a ¾ inch nipple at the back for the PCV. The nipple that you have in the back is for the idle air control bypass. It goes back to the air inlet tube.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:13 AM
Originally Posted by JMC
Keep the vacuum and brake booster where they are and use the vapor regulator for the PCV valve.
But then where does the vapor regulator go?

Originally Posted by JMC
In this last picture you do not have a ¾ inch nipple at the back for the PCV. The nipple that you have in the back is for the idle air control bypass. It goes back to the air inlet tube.
Correct, because the PCV hose goes straight into the Intake Manifold which does have a ¾" nipple.

I guess what I'm not getting here is why you'd plug the heated PCV hose into the throttle body in the first place. How exactly does that heat anything? I think in any case I'll just plug up the extra PCV line and zip tie it and hope nothing freezes because it gets pretty cold here in California

Old 03-31-2016, 02:51 AM
JMC

Originally Posted by DutchDubs
But then where does the vapor regulator go?
Does your engine have a vapor regulator? Might that be the actual PCV valve on the passenger side vlalve cover?

Last edited by JMC; 03-31-2016 at 02:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-31-2016, 02:53 AM
JMC

I guess what I'm not getting here is why you'd plug the heated PCV hose into the throttle body in the first place. How exactly does that heat anything? I think in any case I'll just plug up the extra PCV line and zip tie it and hope nothing freezes because it gets pretty cold here in California

In the above image the elbow on the right has a red circle. Inside that red circle is the fitting that heats the PCV line from coolant hoses running to it. The two smaller nipples have coolant lines attached. Your elbow does not have the heater fitting.

Last edited by JMC; 03-31-2016 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Clearification
Old 03-31-2016, 04:07 AM
Ah hmm you're right about the elbow being different. I didn't catch that...

But yes, there is a vapor management valve mounted behind the throttle body with a hose marked 'gas/fuel' that runs to that nipple on the underside of the throttle body.

If you mean am I sure whether the PCV is the 'actual' one as in is it the correct pcv valve... I'm assuming it is, the model number is EV-233. If you're asking me whether the valve in the passenger side valve cover is in fact actually a PCV valve then it most definitely is and there are no other PCV valves or things that resemble them as far as I can tell.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:31 PM
Ok just an update here I have finally solved this mystery with the help of FordTech Makuloco who thinks that I had a heated PCV assy at some point but not any longer. My guess is it started leaking and whoever the owner was removed it chucked it and patched it together. Just in case anyone lands here and is confused about this issue here is a much better diagram than the one on the ford parts website.

As you can see the part that heats the PCV is separate from the hose that Ford sells. Since I need to have a really good seal on the manifold I'm going to grab the heated PCV style hose and just cap it off. From what I've read on the internet it's not really a big deal to do that. Unless anyone has another opinion?

Old 03-31-2016, 08:39 PM
JMC

Why not get the proper hose?

Old 03-31-2016, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
Why not get the proper hose?
There is no proper hose. The non heated version won't fit onto the manifold because a 5/8" hose won't fit onto a 3/4" nipple. The heated version is the closest but I do not have the heater portion where the coolant lines go so ultimately there's nowhere for it to connect to. Make sense?

Old 04-01-2016, 09:57 PM
JMC

Originally Posted by DutchDubs
There is no proper hose. The non heated version won't fit onto the manifold because a 5/8" hose won't fit onto a 3/4" nipple. The heated version is the closest but I do not have the heater portion where the coolant lines go so ultimately there's nowhere for it to connect to. Make sense?
Your latest diagram shows a heated system. That system has a large nipple at the rear of the elbow that goes to the IAC. Is there a large nipple on the intake manifold? Use that for the PCV and connect the 6C374 section to the nipple on the elbow.

Quick Reply: 1999 5.4L V8 "Heated" PCV Hose Assembly w/ 3/4" grommet