1997 - 2003 F-150

Oil Pan Removal 2000 4.6 V8

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 10:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil Pan Removal 2000 4.6 V8

I need some advice. I need to pull my oil pan off of my truck. In the Haynes book it says to pull the through motor mount bolts and jack the engine up. Place two by fours under the mounts to keep the engine raised, pull the oil pan bolts and after you work it loose from the seal it should come right out....it don't. It seems to be hittiing the oil pick up tube. Does the pick up tube need to be removed to get the pan off? What is the secret?

BTW, I have the motor tore down to replace the timing chains and one of the guides is chewed to pieces so I need to clean the pan out before reassembling..
Thanks,
Chuck

Old 03-29-2016, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes you do have to remove the pick up tube there's 3 bolts the 2 up front are 8 mm and 1 in back is 10 mm your right there just move the pan over to the side and remove them. i just did mine last week! i have a 97 with the 4.6.! I thought no big deal its just a gasket well it wasn't. once you put the gasket sealer on you only have 4 min to tighten all 16 bolts. you have to put a bead up front and one on the back. tighten in 3 sequence the first is 18 in ft pounds then 15 in ft pounds the then a complete 60 deg. number 3 and 4 where the hardest to tighten. i didn't let the engine down until i tighten all the bolts. last summer i replaced my heater core and i thought man that sucked but after replacing the pan gasket i would do the heater core 5 time before i would the pan gasket and 2 more on Sunday. i must have spent at least 3 hrs. trying to get that pan out before i realizes i had to raise the motor. i had a Chilton book as one reference and the other i got on line.Good luck!!

Old 03-29-2016, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by mserenil
yes you do have to remove the pick up tube there's 3 bolts the 2 up front are 8 mm and 1 in back is 10 mm your right there just move the pan over to the side and remove them. i just did mine last week! i have a 97 with the 4.6.! I thought no big deal its just a gasket well it wasn't. once you put the gasket sealer on you only have 4 min to tighten all 16 bolts. you have to put a bead up front and one on the back. tighten in 3 sequence the first is 18 in ft pounds then 15 in ft pounds the then a complete 60 deg. number 3 and 4 where the hardest to tighten. i didn't let the engine down until i tighten all the bolts. last summer i replaced my heater core and i thought man that sucked but after replacing the pan gasket i would do the heater core 5 time before i would the pan gasket and 2 more on Sunday. i must have spent at least 3 hrs. trying to get that pan out before i realizes i had to raise the motor. i had a Chilton book as one reference and the other i got on line.Good luck!!
Thank you much. It will be a few hours before I can get back under it but now that I have heard this it sure picks up my spirits!
I will post my results.
Thanks again!
Chuck

Old 03-29-2016, 08:38 PM
Success! You were spot on with the bolt sizes! Good thing I stuck with this little chore because the oil pick up screen was 3/4 of the way clogged.

Mserenil, Thanks again!!!
Chuck

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Removal 2000 4.6 V8