1997 - 2003 F-150

accelerating problems

Old 09-17-2015, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
accelerating problems

my 2002 f 150 will occasionally have a problem accelerating when I first start it up. At times it will work perfectly. Other mornings it will sputter and drop RPM's as if the automatic choke is stuck and it's being flooded. It will idle but cut out if I try to accelerate. I have tried to set the choke before starting. No difference. I have tried to start it without touching the accelerator pedal. No difference. If it starts up OK, it will run all day without a problem. If it starts badly, it seems to have to sit a day or two before I can try it again. Any ideas. Thanks

Old 09-17-2015, 03:29 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
There is no choke and you are supposed to start it without touching the pedal.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
accelerator problems

I'm aware that it is injected and not carbureted. I was trying to explain the problem by relating it to similar problems some "old timers" may have experienced in older cars. I have owned the truck for 6 years. The problem has just recently started. I always start the truck by just turning the key. No problems in the past. If i go through the same procedure now, it runs badly. it feels like a fuel problem. Pump, injectors or sensors. I looked at this forum thinking it's happened to others. Hate to take it into a garage and get charged a huge sum for simple fix, on a 13 year old vehicle. But it looks like that's the way it's going to play out.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
Do you feel it would be of help to know how cold start works, then have some idea what might be the issue?
This is the only way short of having luck to solve the issue.
The CHT, the IAC and IAT sensors are involved in cold start.
Are there any codes set?
Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: accelerating problems