1997 - 2003 F-150

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice

Alright guys I have 01 F150 gotts intake mod and k&n free flow air filter wanting to do some mods that isn't going to thro check engine light but give me some performance and Eco boost ( I know they usually don't go hand in hand usually sacrifice one for the other ) and would like to know what all flash programmers work good and some exhaust I've found some magma flow but afraid to purchase anything i really don't want to throw the check engine light until I get a flash prog. Any and all help is great appreciated I have looked and really can't find much at all

Last edited by Velezanthony; 02-18-2015 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-19-2015, 12:51 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Did you not read my and Raptor's responses in the other thread?

TODAY the best programmer to get is a SCT X4 with CUSTOM tunes.
Save the money. I've been modding my 4.2L for years. I've probably got a couple grand into it and I'm maybe ~10rwhp over stock. Its not worth it.
Get that K&N filter out of there, the oil can foul the MAF. I had one for a while and it did absolutely nothing for power or economy, but it sure let a lot more dust into the intake tube. The only reason to put anything but the stock exhaust on a 4.2 is if you want more noise. You have to like the sound of a V-6 to do that anyway, most of the people around here think a V-6 sounds like crap no matter what you do to it, they are all V-8 dinosaurs. I happen to like the sound of a V-6, so I went to my local muffler shop and he put on a Gator SI/DO glasspack and bent me dual tailpipes for $228. It did absolutely nothing for performance or economy. The Gotts mod and a cat back exhaust will not trip the CEL.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:19 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
A tuner is the best mod giving the truck more power, torque, and better fuel economy. I bought a used Superchips tuner from a member on this site and I am very pleased with the results.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There really arent cost effective mods. The only thing I've done to my truck that I consider cost effective is the gotts mod. Best thing you can do is stay on top of maintenance.

Quick Reply: Need some advice