1997 - 2003 F-150

Good A/T tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good A/T tires

I have a 2001 2wd and I'm looking for suggestions for a good all terrain tire. Most of my driving (75%) is on wet/dry pavement but when I get the wild hair and feel like playing in the mud or if I need to go off road for any other reason, I get stuck as hell (thanks to my awful highway tires). Any suggestions on a good all terrain that won't be too obnoxious on the road but can handle itself in the mud? (I go to LSU so snow or sand are never an issue here in the Deep South)

Old 02-06-2015, 08:56 PM
You're probably getting stuck because you only have 2wd. I'd go with the BFG all terrain ta/ko. Can't beat the price and they last forever. Might want to get a detroit locker too if you keep going off road in a 4x2.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:28 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Check out the Cooper At3 and the Cooper Discoverer ATP. Both great tires. Never hear anything bad about Cooper either

Old 02-07-2015, 08:17 AM
I have the new bfg KO2s on my 98, quiet on the highway, handle good. Good in snow and off road. If I have good weight in the back I don't have to use 4x4 to get around in deep snow.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't go wrong with either bfg KO or the new KO2.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by jsdunbar94
I have a 2001 2wd and I'm looking for suggestions for a good all terrain tire. Most of my driving (75%) is on wet/dry pavement but when I get the wild hair and feel like playing in the mud or if I need to go off road for any other reason, I get stuck as hell (thanks to my awful highway tires). Any suggestions on a good all terrain that won't be too obnoxious on the road but can handle itself in the mud? (I go to LSU so snow or sand are never an issue here in the Deep South)
Toyo Open country AT2 Extremes they are mean and never had a problem they did exceptionally well in the mud for me while i was in 2 wheel drive and highway there fine actually quite for being an aggressive all terrain

Old 02-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
At the risk of sounding facetious (cause I'm not...I'm serious), we really need to start asking what's a bad all terrain tyre!! Seriously! The bad list is much, much, shorter; if there's anything even on the bad list. Asking what a good A/T tire is only generates at least one different tyre/brand per user and usually just makes shopping and choosing that much more difficult. As retarded as it sounds, you should literally shop for a tyre based on which one you like the looks of best (barring your choices aren't driven by budget or some other determining factor), because odds are, any of the name brand main stream tyres are going to be awesome.

Trending Topics

Old 02-20-2015, 05:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Firestone Destination AT. Can't beat the price and they're a great tire. Good in snow, good mpgs and quieter than almost all other AT tires.

Had the Cooper discoverer at3's prior and I didn't like them. They hum on the highway, weren't as good in snow, etc. I'm on my second set of destinations now.

Just my honest, personal opinion. I've heard many mixed things about the coopers. Some say they love them, others say "Cooper really missed the mark with that tire."

Old 02-22-2015, 06:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008_XL

Just my honest, personal opinion. I've heard many mixed things about the coopers. Some say they love them, others say "Cooper really missed the mark with that tire."
That's my point with "best tyre" threads...people have that same commentary just made about every tyre out there. Thanks XL for making my point for me!

Old 02-22-2015, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Galaxy
That's my point with "best tyre" threads...people have that same commentary just made about every tyre out there. Thanks XL for making my point for me!
You're welcome. And I fully agree. I don't think the "best AT tire" threads really help anyone. It's just everyone listing a different tire.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
Firestone Destination AT. Can't beat the price and they're a great tire. Good in snow, good mpgs and quieter than almost all other AT tires.

Had the Cooper discoverer at3's prior and I didn't like them. They hum on the highway, weren't as good in snow, etc. I'm on my second set of destinations now.

X 2 My Truck has an set of Destination and it is really good tires btw my Truck is 2wd

Old 02-22-2015, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmarcio02
X 2 My Truck has an set of Destination and it is really good tires btw my Truck is 2wd
My truck is 2wd as well. 360 lbs over the rear axle, I don't spin out in any snow.

Quick Reply: Good A/T tires