1997 - 2003 F-150

Reverse Lights Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse Lights Not Working

1999 F150 4x4 4.6 M5OD

I'm having a problem with the reverse lights on my 99. When I put the truck in reverse, they never light up. Sometimes if I start the truck already in reverse they will light up but if I take it out of reverse and then put it back in they don't come back on.

Not sure where to begin looking for the problem? I'm assuming it has something to do with whatever detects reverse has been selected.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:09 AM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
There is a neutral safety switch that connects power through to the backup light circuit when it rotates to the reverse positiion.
It likely is either worn, out of adjustment or linkage is worn/loose or any combination of these.
Good luck..

Old 05-08-2015, 05:51 AM
Did you make any progress or resolve this problem?

I found out yesterday that my backup lights come on sometimes when driving, obviously when they are not supposed to. I experimented and it seems they come on when I put the truck in 5th as well as reverse. Just starting to try to diagnose this.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:15 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I know the post is several months old, but there's no neutral safety switch on a manual trans.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by taganov
Did you make any progress or resolve this problem?

I found out yesterday that my backup lights come on sometimes when driving, obviously when they are not supposed to. I experimented and it seems they come on when I put the truck in 5th as well as reverse. Just starting to try to diagnose this.
I honestly found out that I didn't need reverse lights for inspection, so my lazy *** never even looked into what the problem was.

Quick Reply: Reverse Lights Not Working