1997 - 2003 F-150

Emergency Brakes not working at all

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emergency Brakes not working at all

I checked them while I had the wheels off yesterday, and both sides clearly moved forward when the e brake pedal was depressed. But there is not a bit of stopping power. I tried adjusting the e brakes and only one of the star wheels would turn (I turned it three clicks which did nothing).

So I'm guessing to fix this problem the rotors must come off. What is weird is that both wheels would fail the same way. Is this something worth digging deeper on, or would you leave it? I can always put the truck in gear when I turn it off if I'm on a hill, right?

Old 09-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
If the rear discs have never been off, your likely in for a surprise.
The hardware and shoe lining may all be rusted and coming apart.
Just because the levers move is no indication of the inside condition.
What can happen is the rear locks up while your driving and can offer a big jolt.
The parts rolling loose in the space cannot get out and drop away so can jamb the disc rotation.
Good luck.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I redid my rear emergency brake a few years ago completely. I had to replace the caliper mounting bracket on one side along with the backing plate. While I was at it I picked up a new ford traction lock differential and I replace all the disc brake components. Spent close to a grand on parts and did it all myself. Those rear e brakes get forgotten about and when they rust apart and come un done it can get expensive..

Old 09-01-2014, 07:34 PM
I busted my ebrake when winching. The brake is good for parking only as the brackets aren't very strong. When broken, mine acted as you describe.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:33 PM
When I bought my truck back in Febuary, the E-brake barely worked. About two months ago I set the E-brake & when I released it & then drove off, I heard a Loud Noise. It was the Lining separating from the shoes. That gave me the excuse to rebuild the rear brakes, & E-brake. Now I wish I had done that sooner, brakes are better as well as the E-brake, I have a 5-spd.

Last edited by Apittslife; 09-02-2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Okay, so likely both sides of my e brakes are rusted out and need replaced. Is it worth it? I'm certainly not paying $500 in parts just to get the e brake working. How hard is it really to take these apart? It seems pretty involved, like more than a two hour job. I have bled brakes and replaced pads/calipers before, but not taken off a rotor.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:34 AM
If Memory serves me right, I paid around 150.00 for: E-brake shoes, E-brake hardware kit, Brake-pads & Rear rotors.
E-brake shoes were 30-ish & hardware kit was 20-ish?
Tyme wise, I would say One hour per side, if you take your tyme, & are doing it in your driveway.
I would suggest that you take a pic of the E-brakes before taking them apart so you put them back together correctly.

Last edited by Apittslife; 09-02-2014 at 06:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Emergency Brakes not working at all