1997 - 2003 F-150

Need Help with Proper Installation of Timing Chains

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need Help with Proper Installation of Timing Chains

I am repairing my 2001 Ford F-150 with 4.6L Romeo engine. My timing chain guide was damaged and pieces had been drawn into oil pan and clogged the oil pump screen so oil pressure was reduced. You could hear the passenger side chain slapping around. The diver side appeared fine. So I replaced both timing chains, timing chain sprockets, tensioners', and guides. As engine had over 200,000 miles I also replaced the oil pump, oil pump screen, the water pump and all applicable gaskets/seals. Recently replaced spark plugs and boots so I just cleaned and checked gaps. Cleaned fuel injectors and all connectors prior to installation.

Carefully positioned the number one cylinder to TDC with keyways of camshafts set to 90 degrees to the valve cover mounting surface as instructed in the Haynes Repair Manual 36059.

Unfortunately the camshaft positioning tool I ordered was not the right one for my vehicle and no local auto stores or Ford dealers had available so I used C clamps and wood wedges to keep camshafts from moving.

Well the driver side moved slightly but I was able to move back into place when installing the new chain but the timing marks did not line up. This would be the case even if the right camshaft had not moved. I installed the chains with the marked link aligned with the crankshaft timing mark and set the other chain link as close to camshaft key on the left side as possible with the key set at 90 degrees but it did not align. Did the same on the right side but the mark on chain appeared to align with the camshaft key on this side.

After putting engine back together the motor was running smoothly when in park but when placed in gear at idle began to shake badly and when driven ran poorly, poor acceleration from start and noticeable loss of power. I checked codes and I was getting P0401 which points to a problem with EGR or related components. P0171 System to Lean Bank 1. P0175 System Too Rich Bank 2. P0306 Cylinder 6 misfire.

I checked and cleaned with contact cleaner all connectors that were removed. I also checked all vacuum lines and their connections then cleared the codes but they returned and the motor still ran poorly with no obvious improvement.

As none of these codes came up prior to this overhaul and engine was running fine until the timing chain guide fell apart I figured the timing was off. Especially as I found the directions in the Haynes manual to be confusing and it was impossible to set the timing marks on the chains onto both timing marks (cam and crank) when following their procedure.

I posted my problem on the Ford Truck Enthusiast forum I belong to but got only one suggestion and no solutions after a few days. So I searched the internet for answers and eventually found this forum and a procedure posted by Dynotech to set the timing. I found his procedure to set timing on 4.6 engine to be quite straight forward and read other posts related to my problem where other members had used his procedure with success.

So I have torn down the engine again and followed this procedure and was able to install the chains with the timing marks aligning at all four points. But I am unable to manually turn engine to verify that timing marks stay aligned after 2 rotations as instructed. Crank will only move approximately to 1 o'clock or 11 o'clock and then it binds. I tried rotating the crank using
1/2" ratchet the same way I have moved the crank previously.

I reset crank to 12 o'clock and removed chains and I was able to turn both camshafts 2 rotations so they are turning freely. I re-installed chains and related components but I still can't rotate the crank any further. I don't know what I did wrong or what to do next. I am stuck and hope someone can help!!

Old 06-05-2014, 07:07 AM
Show us pictures of your timing marks.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Here is a link to photos of the Camshaft and Crankshaft timing marks with the chains installed with crank at 12 o'clock.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1157439...eat=directlink

Old 06-06-2014, 12:15 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Might take a look at this vid. If you can, start to view about half way thru it. I don't see any timing marks on your chains and it appears that the cams are not in the right position. It may be camera angle though but view the vid. Hope this helps

Old 06-06-2014, 01:28 PM
Thanks Labnerd. I watched these before I started this job and followed procedure in Haynes manual as close as I could but the camshaft locking tools I ordered were incorrect and camshaft moved. I set chains marked links as close to camshaft keys as possible thinking these were the timing marks I should use based on Hayne's procedure.

The position of the cams you see in the photos are based on using DYNOTECH'S procedure (see link) in an attempt to correct the timing caused by following the Hayne's
procedure.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/2704323-post13.html

The problem is everything appears to be installed according to Dynotech's procedure but I can't turn the crank manually 2 rotations as directed. I am afraid I damaged something, possibly the valves or cylinders by running the engine out of time. I did not think this was the case as engine was running and I was able to turn the crank manually to align crank to 12 o'clock position. So I am looking for some input on what I should do next.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:14 PM
The noise of an engine running poorly, and an engine that has a valve hitting a piston is very different.

I used a Chilton's manual, and have read the Haynes version. They all should work. I timed my 5.4 using the Chiltons and without any cam locking tools. It was possible to move the camshafts, and indeed spring pressure shot my passenger side camshaft 40 degrees clockwise, but I relied on my chain marks to make sure everything was set correctly.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Come on. I'm having the same problem. What was the outcome?

Old 04-10-2016, 09:00 PM
Found the problem! A one piece crankshaft sprocket is reversable. Each side is marked with a dimple indicating where the colored link should fall. At least this is what common sense would tell you.... But, when you line your chains on the crankshaft sprocket place them both so that the colored links line up at the dimple on the front of the sprocket. Took me four hours to figure this out but after that the motor spun around with ease.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:14 PM
By the way, This IS the same problem DarkGreenCrew was having. Look at how he has the timing marks highlighted in two places on picture #11... If both colored links would have been lined up at the mark on the left side of the crankshaft his problem would have been solved.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:49 PM
I had the same issue when I did my timing and used both marks on the crankshaft spocket...I didn't rotate by hand and started it...well I ended up having to replace all my valves as 4 were smashed, not bent but smashed. Us the front mark on the gear/sprocket. both left and right chain links for the sprocket on the crank use the same mark. I learned the hard way. No directions tell you that with using the one piece design.

Quick Reply: Need Help with Proper Installation of Timing Chains