1997 - 2003 F-150

Guaging interest in tow mirrors for Supercrew

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guaging interest in tow mirrors for Supercrew

Hey guys,
Just like a lot of you guys that have an 97-03 SCREW I want a set of direct bold on with ZERO modifications of any kind f250 style tow mirrors. Well here's the deal, I'm currently working with a very close friend of mine that manufactures automotive parts to see what we can come up with. Our goal is simple...

1) good sturdy construction
2) power mirror
3) led turn signal

From what I can tell there seems to be a pretty big interest in mirrors like this for our cab style. I would like to gather a head count of guys that would be interested. Once things get moving along and I get the prototype in front of me I'll get pics posted along with price point.

If there's any specific things that you guys would like to see on the mirrors let me know. Things like blind spot mirror, over all style and so on. If its easier post up some pics of other mirrors that you like so I can get a more accurate idea of what you're looking for.

Oh and one more things I'm looking and hoping to have this out by months end. This way they will be ready and in time for the holidays to put on our Christmas lists to the wives and girlfriends!

Thanks and cheers

Old 11-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm interested.

My only input is style/design is my #1 concern. Something mimicking the current body style tow mirrors won't work IMO. It needs to be a fresh design made for our trucks.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:11 PM
I would pick up a pair of tow mirrors for my screw. The only thing I would want is a super duty kind of look. Something to match all the curves in the body style. I think that would look clean.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:59 PM
I'm in for a pair if they look nice but I don't have any ideas. The only thing that pops to my head is a rim of LED lights around the mirror...where half of them are used as turn signals....i saw a car this way the other day but had them in the tail lights...did not catch watch model it was but they looked great in the dark.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Yeah I agree that they can't be too new ford looking because they just won't flow right. Our gen truck is too round to pull off such a square mirror. It would just look out of place like and after thought. I want it to look OEM.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:29 AM
Regardless of how the mirrors turn out, they should be made for the regular/supercabs as well. I'd be willing to jump on the tow mirror bandwagon if there was a mirror that better matched the 10th gen.

Besides the power and LED signal option, the mirror should have some type of smooth skull cap to facilitate easy color matching.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:44 AM

I'm not sure of the differences between mirrors in the 97-03 body style between singlecab, supercab, and supercrews (I have an 06), but a large majority of those trucks are single and supercabs cause screws were only offered from 01+, if I remember correctly. So I agree that they should be made for all cab configurations, at least down the road, if not from the beginning, because of they're a huge portion of the market.

But I agree with everything that's been suggested so far and am excited for someone finally offering something like this. It has certainly been a gap in the market for some time now. I think if we can push these around the truck forums once you have something people can lay their eyes on and you've got a decent price, you'll do pretty well with these.

joel321, that sort of thing sounds like something you may be able to do yourself too if you get some high-quality LEDs to do it with. Some Audis and Mercedes, and likely other German makes, have something like that I think.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Right now they will be solely made for the supercrew. Correct me if I'm wrong here but I thought there were already mirrors available for the other cab styles. They may not be the ideal super duty look alikes but rather the Chevy style.
Ok so let me ask a question then. What generations and what cabs DON'T have Super Duty "elephant eat" style mirrors available for them? I need to know so this way I can try my best to come up with something for everybody. However, this won't be something to happen over night. Right now let me get the first one off the ground and I can take it from there.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:53 PM
I'm in! And like everyone else they should look like the first gen superduty mirrors, the ones that the other cabs can get look like Chevy mirrors, not bad but not what I would like if there's the option. All they need is power, signal lights, and that smaller blind spot mirror on the bottom and they are perfect!

Last edited by tfast150; 11-03-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:55 PM

I think it may be just be the 97-03 supercrews that don't have them. I knew about the eBay "Chevy" mirrors, but figured those were available for all cab types. All the 04+ trucks have big towing mirrors available for us.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, since the SuperCrew didn't come out until 2001, not sure why you are looking for comments from 97-00 owners since you said you were only looking at SC cabs, which do have a differnt door design if I recall??

My opinion for myself and my 97 SuperCab is my slip on towing mirrors are the best for MY situation...

They provide the towing mirror I need when towing, but when I take them off, I can still drive into my garage without having to fold the mirrors in..

The new F150's with the dual arm tow mirrors would require me to fold in the drivers side mirror in every time I parked the rig in the garage... Not what I want to do, unless it was the power kind, but those probably cost a lot of $$..

I think what you are doing is great and I'm sure you will find a lot of potential customers as has already been established with the response to your question already...

I know our body style of F150's is falling to the "old" side of things, but I truely love my 16 year old F150 and the slip on towing mirrors because they do everything I need them to do..

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 11-03-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:22 AM
My apologies guys, I'm not 100% versed on all things f150 lol. I didn't know that the supercrew wasn't offered until 01. So what I'm looking to put out right now will be specifically for the 01-03 (04 heritage) supercrews.
I guess my original idea is going to be the best thus far with the mirror pretty much being our generation super duty two arm style with the addition of a lower blind spot, led turn signal and power. I could try to incorporate power folding as well IF the masses prefer. My idea was to be a plug and play this way it kept installation clean and simple so that wasn't an original idea. Again if power folding is what you guys want then I can work that in.

I may be going out on a limb here but with everyone being as adult as possible about this let me ask one simple question........ Assuming the mirror I put together had ALL the options I just mentioned including power folding what would you EXPECT to pay? Again try to be realistic here seeing that these are the ONLY mirrors like this on the market anywhere and they are packed with options not just some cheap-o universal b.s.

Last edited by Trueimport; 11-04-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Led, power, heated and power folding should cost around $800. I'd stay away from the power folding just for the cost, I would expect to pay around $300 without power folding.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:10 PM

Power mirrors, all black plastic (not paint to match caps), with LED turn and (most in the south aren't gonna care about heated) are about $340 for an OEM set for the 04+ trucks. The power folding and paint to match caps each add a ridiculous amount to cost, so I'd perhaps leave those out. You could probably do smooth, paint-able plastic for the mirrors though.

I think you gotta get them in the $350 ballpark, but no higher than $400.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:08 PM
I'd be interested in a pair for my supercab, if you end up making them for all cab types that is, what are the other tow mirrors mentioned above that are an exact bolt on to the 97-03 supercabs?

Quick Reply: Guaging interest in tow mirrors for Supercrew