1997 - 2003 F-150

97 f150 transfer case stuck in 4low..

Old 11-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 97 f150 transfer case stuck in 4low..

I've read several post and tried near bout all the tips and nothing. the last thing i tried was disconnecting the battery and taking off the shift motor but soon as i get to the last bolt to remove the motor,it is spring loaded and spins fast back to the 2h position (complete motor). before i could just take it off and it would already be in the 2h position although the transfer case was in 4L. when i tried to manually swith it into 4L it wouldn't go (just snapped back down to 4h) could this be just a bad transfer case? at wits end with this one..someone shed some light on it for me..

Old 11-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Is this manual shift or automatic dial-on-the-dash-thingy?

Old 11-27-2012, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by chrmar
Is this manual shift or automatic dial-on-the-dash-thingy?
it is the elec with dail on the dash..Borg Werner 4406 transfer case..

Old 11-27-2012, 06:57 AM
Shifting in and out of 4L can usually only be achieved with the truck in neutral. Perhaps you could ensure the truck is on level ground, block the wheels, put the transmission in neutral, and then attempt to shift it in and out of 4L? If when in neutral the transfercase will shift freely, the shift motor might be the culprit.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by chrmar
Shifting in and out of 4L can usually only be achieved with the truck in neutral. Perhaps you could ensure the truck is on level ground, block the wheels, put the transmission in neutral, and then attempt to shift it in and out of 4L? If when in neutral the transfercase will shift freely, the shift motor might be the culprit.
yeah i've tried that and still a no go. i took the shift motor off and the dial on the transfer case was in 2H. if its stuck in 4L shouldn't it be in the 4 L position? i can manually turn it with some plieers but once it gets to the 4L position it gets spring loaded and spins back to 4H position.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
I'm not sure follow your posts but here is how it usually works.
Trans in neutral, foot on brake, switch to 4L.
The case motor rotates 2 positions to 4L and signals the PCM to change shift rpm points in it's program.
The motor turns a shaft in the transfer case to change the power flow path and operates an electric clutch so the gear teeth match up.
Other things that go on are the firewall solenoid for 4L applies vacuum to the front axle actuator, locks the front togather and tells the GEM module to light the 4L dash lamp.
I don't understand the 'spring back' deal because the motor is a DC type that turns in reverse with a polartity change from the GEM module same as window motors do.
The case motor needs to turn the shaft back under power due to the force required and 3 seperate positions involved.
Determine if the issue is with the case motor operation or the shaft operation internal to the tranfer case.
Remember, the case motor is controlled and run from the GEM module.
Has the GEM gotten wet from a windshield leak and causing odd things to happen with the case motor?
Good luck.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:29 PM
ok i done all that..the dash light is in 4L. i turn my truck off and crawl underneath to remove the switch motor since its showing the transfer case to be in 4L. i unplug it and take the bolts out. as soon as i break the last bolt free the whole switch motor spins up to the 2H position on its own. could it be internal in the transfer case?

Old 11-28-2012, 06:56 PM
From what your saying it seems the motor is being "powered" to return back to the 2H position.
Is the motor case warm or hot before you do this indicating it has power applied and not being able to move?
If yes, the shaft it turns is holding it from moving.
The reason the 4L is lighted is because the electical contactors on the motor drive are in 4L position telling the GEM module where the motor is 'physically' which would be normal.
With enough info feedback we can see what is happening.
Good luck with it.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Well I finally gave in and snatched the dang thing out..pain in the butt but its out now. after further investigation i think the gears are fubar inside. i drained the fluid out only to get less than a cup of fluid..thanks for the trouble shooting help though now on to the next phase of finding a replacement for a reasonable price without someone breaking a cresent wrench off in me..lol..

Old 11-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Sorry it turned out to be so expensive and labor intensive.
Good luck with it.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:39 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Try car-part.com.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 f150 transfer case stuck in 4low..