1997 - 2003 F-150

Did my heater core just blow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did my heater core just blow?

99 f150 4.6 4x4 ... auto.. so, driving on the interstate I had to accelerate hard to avoid hitting a crazy driver... after that I smell antifreeze... get home can't find a leak.. wait a bit and I see antifreeze leaking passengers side coming down the firewall outside... if you are laying behind the passengers front tire with your feet to the back tire.. looking up you see the catalytic converter.. behind that on the firewall a stream of antifreeze... follow the stream up and there is a piece of plastic just about were the firewall starts to go straight up from the floorboard bend.. putting my hands in that it goes inside..and its wet inside.. I can't tell what thats for really but.. im guessing evap coils access? any rate.. I don't feel any dampness inside yet.. but I do smell it in the cab stronger now. I haven't ripped up the carpet either. Im suspecting my heater core sprung a leak?? there is a good amount of fluid coming out and down the firewall outside I would say I have about a 6 foot puddle now. course I parked on a hill too. no fluid that I can tell is at all leaking off the heater core hoses.. they felt dry. Im guessing there is a drain port in that black box inside and that is where this is coming out?? no noticeable leak from the motor side.. its all dry.. its actually going down the firewall and hitting a metal plate that carries out to a crossmember on the transmission and then leaking down.. motor area is dry. I know this is going to be a PITA to change.. any recommendations .. am I right?

Last edited by 65fordguy; 10-03-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Shine a flashlight into the engine valley, -behind the alternator. Is the valley full of coolant? It will stink everywhere when it begins to overheat. You don't want to overheat it, -not even a little.

If the interior is dry, then the leak is under the hood.Heatercore hardline begins behind the water pump.

BTW that little plastic pipe your messing with is the AC drain. Don't take it off, you'll never get it back on lol.

I think your valley is filling and leaching out the passenger side by the trans. Because that's where they do. If not, it's a simple connection at the hose.

Quick Reply: Did my heater core just blow?