1997 - 2003 F-150

Fuel vapor hose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel vapor hose?

Hello to the group. I am a new member looking for some advice on my 2002 F-150.

I had to replace the fuel pump and I did so by removing the bed. I noticed that there were several hoses that appear to be related to vapor emission control. The seem as though they are deteriorating since when I touch them they leave black soot on my hands.

Is this normal?

Should I replace them?

I have tried to identify them by searchin for vapor hose and emission hose but cannot find any reference to the hoses on the Ford online parts pages are anyway of figuring out what / where to buy replacements. It seems like they don't exist.

Thanks,
Wayne,
wjheil@gmail.com

Old 08-02-2012, 06:14 PM
When I changed my gas tank all of the hoses left that soot on my hands also. Tough to get off too. Mine seemed like they were still intact OK so I left them.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks Ron,

That is my inclination as well. I can't believe how hard it is to find info on those hoses!

-Wayne

Old 08-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea Wayne, there's plenty of life left in them, most likley. I'm going to be changing mine as well, -since the existing just left with the garbage man.

All you do is purchase F/V hose from any auto supplier. Purchased by the foot. It must be "Fuel Vapor" rated. Otherwise they deteriorate on the inside and depending upon what's used, they can suck shut and kink.

Quick Reply: Fuel vapor hose?