1997 - 2003 F-150

Anyone with a '99 with 5.4? Intake Manifold Question

Old 04-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone with a '99 with 5.4? Intake Manifold Question

I'm in the process of installing a '99 aluminum intake manifold on my 2001 5.4 and I have a question regarding the PCV tube. It appears that the nipple coming out of my old plastic manifold is longer than the steel nipple coming out of my '99 aluminum intake. Is there some sort of rubber nipple or something that I am missing for the '99 manifold? I purchased a new PCV tube for the '99 manifold and the end that slides onto the nipple on the manifold is too small. Almost seems like i'm missing a piece. Can anyone help me out on this? Thanks!

Old 04-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i did this swap a few years ago, use the throttle body from your 2001, it will bolt up to the 99 aluminum intake. If memory serves, the PCV will hook up correctly. The only 2 things I had to change was the heater hose (01 went to the front of the intake, 99 went to the passenger rear side of the engine, and the front of the intake where the coolant crossover is, you have to block where the hose comes off it to the throttle body.

Last edited by mikeyss; 04-02-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Doesn't the 99 have a upper manifold PCV inlet ? It's not ported thru the plenum like the 01's. I can't recall what year that was changed from manifold to plenum. I thought it was 2000 and the 99 was plumed the same as the 97-98's. If that's the case, to run the 99 thru upper intake, you just need the 90 and the right pre-bent PCV line.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shucks, it got dark out too soon, I'll have to see how mine is. I have sort of a shot of that side of the motor from my old 00 Harley Davidson F150. I hope it kind of helps, if not I'll get a picture of my '99 tomorrow

[IMG][/IMG]

I used the throttle body from the 2000 on the 99 intake. I'm pretty sure the PCV inlet is on the upper manifold

Old 04-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Well, I snapped a few pics last night. The first picture is of the PCV nipple on the aluminum manifold I installed. The second is the PCV nipple on the old plastic manifold. Notice how much longer the nipple on the plastic manifold is. I'm wondering if i'm missing some sort of extending nipple on the aluminum manifold? I purchased a PCV tube that fits a '99, but it is almost exactly the same as my '01 tube, only difference is the connector that goes to the manifold nipple is smaller diameter on the '99 tube compared to my '01 tube. And I also did use my '01 TB with no problems. I also went a different direction with the heater hose outlet. I blocked off the old rear port and drilled and tapped the front crossover (where the TB coolant line used to go I think) and hooked up my original heater hose there. Worked out pretty good!

Old 04-03-2012, 10:40 AM

I have some pics, -hang on, have to locate them. I've ported, polished and knifed one in the past..

Old 04-03-2012, 11:16 AM

These are from a 98. The 99 SHOULD be similar back there. -

PCV, -Ends and connects here. -

Slips on over the intake inlet here. -

Sits closer to the firewall, here. -

The Plenum isn't involved, here -

Old 04-03-2012, 11:18 AM

I'll get a 99 diagram real quick, to compare. See if it's different... Hang on

Old 04-03-2012, 11:28 AM

Yea, the "99" 5.4L F150 Service/Workshop shows the same thing -

Old 04-03-2012, 11:43 AM

I think I see what you mean tho. Looks like the manifold tube stubs off a little sooner for some reason. Huh, well, - heater hose/barb fitting/maybe a couple clamps.

You may be able to find a pre-bent barb to replace the existing 90, then route the rest of the way with heater hose.

Well, then you have that large connection to contend with,- at the manifold. Tell you what, O'Rielies or most auto supply stores usually carry allot of PCV connection crap, right in the isles. Reducers and what not. I'd take the elbow you have and head up there to match something up.

Just use a barbed fitting for the radius and heater hose for the straight. Cheap stuff WILL kink and suck shut for sure.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks for all the help, it really has cleared up a few things for me. I called my dealer and inquired about the PCV tube. According to him, the tube for a “heated” PCV has a bigger diameter fitting on the end that plugs into the manifold, AND the plastic tubing is longer, thus extending out to the back of the manifold to the length of where mine should be. I noticed that your non-PI manifold, there is casting extending out the back with the nipple on the end, unlike my PI aluminum intake. My intake is missing that extra casting. Now, here is my theory. I think my PI manifold originally was installed on a vehicle with a heated PCV, thus explaining the short stub on the back of the manifold. But, for a model with a non-heated PCV, was there a differently manifold configuration? That would seem odd to me, but there are 2 distinct different PCV tubes for this same year, so maybe? I think I’m going to have to resort to making something up like you suggested. Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:40 PM

The heated PCV system for that model year or any model year 97-03 is heated thru the cold climate system tree; -passenger side of the plenum. Has nothing to do with the PCV line except for tap by the valve itself. However, in 2002 Ford used a wrap around fitting at the valve. Still, nothing different in back by the firewall.

I know the diagram of the 99 shows the heated PCV system (CCS). What it is, coolant travels thru a 1/4 line across the engine from front to back and connects to the tree at the plenum. Another line connects to a branch,- of that same tree. This is the PCV line. It takes your coolant heat to warm the valve, IAC and entire plenum. Below freezing temps can freeze those parts. The PCV line itself is neither longer or shorter with or without this system.

I recall seeing more than one piece at the manifold connect before. I believe it was a short piece, but I'm not sure what it's like. You know, I can't quite picture it, but I do recall seeing something goofy like that in the past. I thought it was just a straight piece of rubber, but I'm not positive on that which is why I didn't mention it. - I try to know for sure what I'm talking about.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:33 AM
I'm doing this as well this weekend.

Does anyone know why the pictures won't load? They are hosted my F150online.

It appears that JBrew hasn't been active for over a year, mikeyss in over 2.

Oldnnew, what did you do for the gap in the pvc tube?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone with a '99 with 5.4? Intake Manifold Question