1997 - 2003 F-150

A few things wrong with the f150

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few things wrong with the f150

Hi everyone I have a 2001 4.6 supercrew and recently Ive had a few problems. The first problem Ive had since I got the truck but its getting worse now. When I turn, my truck will kind of rumble and vibrate through the turn which doesnt feel good at all. At first it did this occasionally usually after long trips but now it does this about 50% of the time. Ive heard that my power steering pump might be going out but what do you guys think. The next thing might be related to the first problem Im not really sure though. After Ive been driving a while usually its after about 20 minutes on the highway, when I transition to slower city roads there is a squeeking noise when I turn. Its not like a high pitch squeek but more like a wheel on a wagon that needs to be greased kind of like a low pitch moan if that makes any sense. The oil pressure guage up and to the left of the speedometer somtimes drops all the way down and the red light comes on but only for a few seconds then the light goes off and the needle goes back to halfway. Im thinking this is a electrical problem since it seems to be running fine but I just want to make sure. Lastly my brake light is on but I think I have found the problem. There is a hose hanging right behind the drivers side rear axel that isnt connected on one side. Im thinking it has somthing to do with the brakes but the hose goes up into a hole right under my bed. I will get pictures tommorrow of the hose because its really hard to explain. Sorry for the long post and any help would be greatly appreciated also if you guys know of any good links to show how to fix the problems that would be great. I am really tight on cash right now and it seems like when it rains it pours I really wish everything wouldnt have happened at once.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:24 AM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
I don't mean for this to be insulting but you need to have a good shop check out the issues before they get worse.
Check the oil pressure issue right away and not be so complacent about it, by guessing.
If the light is coming on and off, it needs to have a gage put on to verfiy the oil pressure is solid and good otherwise the sender unit may just be faulty. Lose oil pressure too many seconds and you lose the motor.
With things hanging off in the brake department, you better get under and see why.
My attempt to help you is to get you to move on the issues one way or another, now.
Good luck.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
like bluegrass said, check your break lines, then check fluid levels in the master cylinder, power steering fluid, and crank case. if those check out ok, you may need a power steering pump, if your crank case level is fine you may need an oil pump or like you said it may be electrical.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Ok thanks ill check those out.

I just checked the oil level and its right where it should be how would I find out if I need a new oil pump or if its just a electrical problem.

Last edited by hammerdown45; 01-12-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:41 PM

that is the picture of the hose its kind of hard to make out but you can see it hanging down.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:39 PM
That vibration noise you speak of sounds to me like you have limted slip differantial in the rear and that you need to add friction modifier to it. Have you had the rear diff oil changed latley? What is your axle code in the door jamb?

Old 01-13-2012, 06:15 AM
Most likely the LSD. But it could also be a wheel bearing.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:51 PM
The vibration and noise is coming from the front of the truck not the rear would lsd still be the problem in that case.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get everything checked ASAP. And that hose you're talking about going up into the bed from the differential has to be the vent tube.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
That hose hanging down looks like the breathe hose of the rear axle. It goes to what looks like a T fitting mounted on the axle its self correct? Take a holy Ty-wrap and secure it under the bed on the cross rib. The rumble from the front end may be a wheel bearing which needs to be addressed Now before your stuck. Check the connection on the oil sending unit. If it is good them most likely bad sending unit or clogged up oil filter. Get on it NOW before you possibly get a 3500.00 bill for a motor or get stuck up **** creek with out the paddle.

Quick Reply: A few things wrong with the f150